World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The usual route is the RYA day skipper theory which can be completed at evening class over a year or a short intensive course but that can be quite expensive. You then need to complete a 4/5 day practical course at sea.

Next step is the RYA yachtmaster theory course followed by another practical. These are both on the same time scale as the day skipper. Again you can spread this over the year or do short intensive courses.

One of the most important things is to get yourself an RYA log book, which you can get from their website. You then need to keep a record of all your trips at sea as each practical course requires a set number of hours at sea both at night and in daylight.

Having got so far you then need to complete the following day courses:

RYA safety at sea.
First aid course.
VHF (DSC) radio course.

You then need to get a Mariners Medical Certificate form a recognised Doctor.

All the courses have exams at the end so it is not a matter of just turning up! There is also a good deal of maths involved for plotting courses to steer and positions.

When you have got this lot all your certificates should be stuck in your log book and sent off to the Maritime and Coast Guard agency with the required fee (£17 when I did it). You will then be able to 'up grade' your RYA qualification with a Commercial Skippers Endorsement.

That is it you are now ready to go. I apologise if any of this information is out of date or inaccurate but this was the exact course I followed five years ago.

The RYA website (Royal Yachting Association) is a mine of information.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
brings it all back running fixes and true virgins make dull company ect.

but also you mca accridation as well.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The medical, safety at sea and first aid course all need refreshing at various intervals. The RYA bit is for life as is the MCA commercial endorsement so long as the others are kept up to date.

It does sound complicated but it is actually all very enjoyable and not overly time consuming.

Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
As a matter of interest, my local college is running a one night a week course to cover the theoretical side of the day skipper course. I think it is over 35 weeks and upon completion you will just need to do the practical part of it. It might be worth getting a prospectus for yours if your not in to in too much of a rush to do it.
Im booked onto mine and it was free because i get tax credits (as do most of the population!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I want to become a charter skipper in the near future. Going to start my courses with dave saywell next year. By the way the boats going back in the water tomorrow after a 2 month refurb. gd luck if you decide to do it andy :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Just got our local college prospectus through.RYA day skipper theory, 1 evening per week lasts 22 weeks .Full fee £128 .Cheaper if your entitled to discounts etc.
Sounds like good value to me.:)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i have done most of the courses years ago at college when i was just 16 i done a b-tes in nautical science which covers all apects including ships stability, celestrial navigation , prat nav ens ect. i could have gone straight and passed a class 4 ticket no probs. but needed the 4 years sea time to do it though, got bored after 6 months sitting near a gas rig for 30 days at time, then went land side for 6 months before going back to sea on a raf rescue launch out of gt yarmouth.

any way not easy being a charter skipper as said if the fish aint playing ball can be very frustrating

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dad and I are aiming towards ours.

We have:
- First Aid
- RYA Powerboat Level 1
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Powerboat Intermediate
- RYA Radio Short-Range Operator's Licence

We are doing our Sea Survival on the 29th April hopefully.

We have been told that you just need navigation skills to Day Skipper Theory standard, but we intend to do our Powerboat Advanced and our Day Skipper Theory this year.

The other thing is, with our current qualifications plus the Sea Survival course, we can operate commercially from our home port on a coded vessel up to 3 miles from our home port.

I hope this helps a little!

Cheers,

Ed2

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dad and I are aiming towards ours.

We have:
- First Aid
- RYA Powerboat Level 1
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Powerboat Intermediate
- RYA Radio Short-Range Operator's Licence

We are doing our Sea Survival on the 29th April hopefully.

We have been told that you just need navigation skills to Day Skipper Theory standard, but we intend to do our Powerboat Advanced and our Day Skipper Theory this year.

The other thing is, with our current qualifications plus the Sea Survival course, we can operate commercially from our home port on a coded vessel up to 3 miles from our home port.

I hope this helps a little!

Cheers,

Ed2
great stuff hope you do well.I have done sea surviful,firefighting at sea and first aid but it was when I was 16 22 years ago probably not valid now.Better get me RYA log book and stat getting some sea hours
Cheers

·
Registered
642 Posts
Same to you mate! It is a dream job for me.

I really want a career at sea and have done for a long time now.

Got rejected when I applied to go into the Merchant Navy as I am colour blind. Going to try to pass my lantern test, but really I am putting off the inevitable.

Cheers,

Ed2

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same to you mate! It is a dream job for me.

I really want a career at sea and have done for a long time now.

Got rejected when I applied to go into the Merchant Navy as I am colour blind. Going to try to pass my lantern test, but really I am putting off the inevitable.

Cheers,

Ed2
Can you get a cat 2 if you are colour blind?
you think you got probs my worst fear is I have a transplant heart even thou ok now.The medical is my fear 2

·
Registered
155 Posts
as someone mentioned you could at one time have the rya advanced course completion cert endorsed commercial for a small fee provided you had the other bits-vhf/dsc, first aid, sea survival, ML5 medical. If you have a Green coloured advanced cert that still applies.
However since a couple of years back the scheme altered and "modern" advanced certs cannot be endorsed in themselves. What they do give is a reduction in the req seatime for a RYA/MCA commercial advanced powerboat ticket which is awarded after a succesful advanced powerboat examination.
With a new type advanced course completion cert (red in colour unlike the old green ones) you need: 2 years relevant experience, including night pilotage. 20 days, 2 days as skipper, 400 miles, 12 night hours. plus passport sized photo, vhf/src radio cert, in date first aid cert, sea survival cert, completed ML5 medical cert. to be accepted for the examination.
Commercial advanced gives 12 passengers, 20 miles in uk flagged vessel worldwide.
For the high flyers Commercial Yachtmaster (power) gives 60 mile ticket.
Dave M ( RYA power trainer/coach etc etc & commercial advanced examiner)
http://www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The heart bit may be a problem and it is worth exploring that first. I had stents put in in 2000 and was told there was no way I could have a certificate. After I appealed the doctor then relented and gave me an examination and granted me a restricted certificate with annual review but on the second review he lifted all the restrictions.

The restrictions he initially imposed would not have affected me running a charter boat as they related to distance from port and length of vessel.

For the sake of a phone call I would give an approved doctor a ring first!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The heart bit may be a problem and it is worth exploring that first. I had stents put in in 2000 and was told there was no way I could have a certificate. After I appealed the doctor then relented and gave me an examination and granted me a restricted certificate with annual review but on the second review he lifted all the restrictions.

The restrictions he initially imposed would not have affected me running a charter boat as they related to distance from port and length of vessel.

For the sake of a phone call I would give an approved doctor a ring first!
cheers for that

·
Registered
155 Posts
the ML5 does say " you are unlikely to be issued with a boatmasters licence or rya certificate if for example
...............................or have undergone heart surgery......"
but if you dont ask you will never know eh!
An ML5 does not have to be done via an approved doctor (unlike ENG1) and is preferably done by your own GP as most of it is medical history anyway. So download the form and have a chat with him eh.
Best of luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts