World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any one know whats the best way to catch whiting cuz the other day down swansea peir i was catching small not big.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i think if the big ones were there u would have had them m8, they are a greedy fish, and will take worm or fish bait, every one has their own ideas about them, i myself prefer fish bait for them, maky being my favourite, hope this helps u out..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i use the same bait big or small, but they will go for the rag with a nice large piece maky on, but i have had 3 codling on the same this year. rag and large chunk maky, but if i were goin after whiting only i find maky the best, but thats my opinion as i said m8..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Try whole squid or crab for the better whiting...there should be plenty up to 2 lb from the pier. In the past I have seen them up to 3 1/2lb but these are like rocking horse sh**e

·
Registered
119 Posts
Depends where you are fishing...but a 2 or 3 hook paternoster clipped for distance 80yds+ or a flapper for closer work.
1/0 or 2/0 hooks,Kamasan are best with 20lb hooklength ..just in case of a lucky lunker cod as can happen. U never know ur luck.
makkie,squid and crab r the best baits...U dont have to break the bank to catch whiting.. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Your best bet is to look a mike's rigs and knots above on the right, a two or three hook flapper is you best bet for whiting. normaly only a short cast will find the fish, stick to worm/fish baits, size 1/0 hooks and you won't go far wrong. I also find that beads help. best of luck mate
Tight lines

·
Registered
110 Posts
3 hook flapper with lug and mackeral bait have worked wonders for me, been fishing with my bro , him on rag me on lug and I out fished him a few times.... I love whitting there great...eat well to

·
Registered
58 Posts
Or even better Tip lights! - the chemical starlight ones.

cut 2 short pieces of the tube that comes in the packet for fixing the tip light to the float. Work these up the snood and then wedge the tip light underneath.

Try one up inside a luminous mini muppet with the hook tipped with mackrel or squid ;)

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
i find glow in the dark beads & lug with 'van den edye' predator plus additive will work. maybe put a small piece of mackeral to top it off aswel. i use a two boom rig with mustad hooklengths. they have feroushous (can't spell) bites but just let them develop.

good luck

p.s i only hate small whiting not big ones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts