World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping this can be a good thread for sharing ideas on how to film underwater using action cameras like Go-Pro's and similar.
Apart from WaterWolf cameras which look more suited for trolling, there is very little information on how to film underwtaer footage from a boat/kayak, so a lot of it seems DIY but even that seems scarce.
Currently, I put my camera in its casing (which it states not to submerge more than 30ft, but I've sent it down on a wreck 100ft+ down with no damage) and then attach it to a float, like this:
2020-05-20 20.07.05.jpg

The reason for the float is that it's lightweight and fits the clamp nicely which stabilises the camera. The biggest drawback though is the buoyancy and drag resistance caused by the float meaning heavy leads are needed to sink the lot. With the two swivels tied at either end it creates a fixed rig. The two gemini clips with the yellow line, slips through the rig body mainline which stops to float from spinning around and creating nauseating footage.
2020-05-20 20.07.25.jpg

2020-05-20 20.07.37.jpg

I have thought about maybe using something like a jubilee clip and a hollow rod of some description, but I thought I'd put this thread out there to see how others rig their cameras up to see where I could improve. Assuming other people film underwater shots from their kayaks/boats as well and its not just me lol.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I clamp cheap Chinese versions of go-pros onto a garden cane. A flat piece of milk bottle taped to the cane acts as a vane to stop the set-up spinning and keeps the camera facing in one direction. After that I tape a rig on to the cane and use a 14oz lead or heavier to sink the whole lot. A welding rod can act as a boom to hold the hook trace out and dangle it in front of the camera.
The trace line is 30lb breaking strain and clips to 50lb braid on the reel with a link of strong line between the reel line and camera to reduce the risk of losing them. I've still lost some in snags which is why I use the cheap cameras.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, I'll have a play around with that idea, in particular I like the use of the vane - not something I thought of. I'm actually just waiting for a new camera to arrive as the current one has lost its capacity to hold charge, but when it arrives I'll set up a cane cam attachment and see how it compares.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I use a water wolf for checking how fish react to my lures and the camera in their environment mainly. I use 8' of light mono between the two ounce weight and camera, but have taken to looping it over the camera first as it has a tendency to lift up, as it is bouyant, and stops it rotating on its wire.
This shows the problem>

This is how it looks when the line is looped over the camera>

I may experiment with a slightly different angled rig over the winter but I am pretty happy with it so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts