World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how exactly might one be able to capture fish that dwell at depths of 1000m+? My prized fish lurks about 4000-5000m down so this would be extremely useful advice. Again, sorry if this sounds ridiculous. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Very heavy weights and braid? Thats about all that springs to mind for me im afraid lol
What would be that prized fish out of interest?

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
I`ve fished 2-3000mtrs with a portuguese pal but that was for foodfish for his freezer and we used braid and electric reels and 7lb lead. If it`s 6 or 7 gill sharks then wait until night when they move into shallower water mind you at 4000mtrs you are way deep even for them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
YouTube is full of videos from places like the US, NZ and so forth, describing deep dropping techniques using electric reels. I find it quite intriguing myself, but obviously pointless around the UK where the water offshore is about 5 feet deep.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Where are you fishing, a swimming pool? Top end of the ****, SW Scotland its 319mtrs, more or less 1000ft.
FFS, the stupid lefty forum has censored my post above, freakin idiotic forum. The word edited out is D Y K E as im Baeuforts D Y K E. How pathetic does this place get?

·
Global Moderator
2,618 Posts
FFS, the stupid lefty forum has censored my post above, freakin idiotic forum. The word edited out is D Y K E as im Baeuforts D Y K E. How pathetic does this place get?
So thats where my corset went 😘.

Interesting fact. Or - interesting to me- Loch Ness is deeper than the north sea. 2 times as deep in some places.

Reactions: Etienne and STAN M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very heavy weights and braid? Thats about all that springs to mind for me im afraid lol
What would be that prized fish out of interest?
The faceless cusk-eel (Typhlonus nasus). Thanks for all the advice btw; I was honestly prepared to be told it was impossible, though apparently not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YouTube is full of videos from places like the US, NZ and so forth, describing deep dropping techniques using electric reels. I find it quite intriguing myself, but obviously pointless around the UK where the water offshore is about 5 feet deep.
Frilled sharks, six- and seven-gill sharks are not uncommon in British waters, so there obviously is some substantial depth, though as you said, the offshore water is pitifully shallow in places.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I`ve fished 2-3000mtrs with a portuguese pal but that was for foodfish for his freezer and we used braid and electric reels and 7lb lead. If it`s 6 or 7 gill sharks then wait until night when they move into shallower water mind you at 4000mtrs you are way deep even for them.
Whereabouts did you acquire braid at that length?

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Whereabouts did you acquire braid at that length?
Portuguese mate got it from USA ( I think) in 5000 mtr spools. No idea where from, google search. 6 gills have already been caught in UK and Irish waters at nothing like the depths you mention. 300 - 500 mtrs.

Had a quick look longest I could see on a single google was 2500 mtrs. (scroll down)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Portuguese mate got it from USA ( I think) in 5000 mtr spools. No idea where from, google search. 6 gills have already been caught in UK and Irish waters at nothing like the depths you mention. 300 - 500 mtrs.

Had a quick look longest I could see on a single google was 2500 mtrs. (scroll down)

Cheers for that, mate. On the topic of sixgills and sevengills, what line weight would you recommend for catching them?

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Cheers for that, mate. On the topic of sixgills and sevengills, what line weight would you recommend for catching them?
Personal choice i suppose. I rarely use braid but guess around the 100 -120lb test. They are big wet sacks putting up no fight at all, (well the 6 gill anyway, no idea on 7) I built an 80 bent butt chair rod for a guy catches them in 2000 ft off G. Canaria. He uses 150lb braid on an 18/0 reel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personal choice i suppose. I rarely use braid but guess around the 100 -120lb test. They are big wet sacks putting up no fight at all, (well the 6 gill anyway, no idea on 7) I built an 80 bent butt chair rod for a guy catches them in 2000 ft off G. Canaria. He uses 150lb braid on an 18/0 reel
Bluntnose sixgills sure seem that way, but sharpnose sevengills (the other hexanchid sharks found in British waters) look like they'd put up a fight, despite being much smaller. I've heard frilled sharks are also caught off British waters, which is interesting as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts