World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Martin

Very 1st priest I ever made, I used a section of Bamboo cane,(make sure cane is correct thickness) cut where there was a joint, drilled a hole in the joint then I filled the top section with lead.....as for getting Lead...is there no churches about in your neck of the wood ????

plenty Lead on the roofs m8 :D :D

only kidding try builders yards etc etc they will have Lead

all the best

john

·
Registered
266 Posts
I found a nice bit of turned wood lying about and used that ... once I had drilled out the end to fill with lead.

What about using a couple of big fishing weights as a source of lead? We had plenty of lead pipe about when I did mine but I guess that is more rare now. Mind you I am sure a scrappy could sort you out with something for a few pennies?

All the best,

Andy

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Kill two birds with one stone......take the lead off the church roof,then call in,they should be able to help you with a priest :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
For easy to use lead, ask at your local Tyre fitting company for some old balance weights. The weights melt real easy and the ali tongue will just float to the top.

If you use old plumbing pipe, make sure no water is trapped inside before melting otherwise BOOooom; a molten lead shower !!!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you have wizard of mate like I do, get him to turn you on his lathe, i have had mine for many years, one sharp whack and end of story.

alternatively forget all the finesse, if you get hold of some lead pipe...... why melt it down :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I just used some of the blue water pipe, get a bolt thick enough to srew in the end, then there you have a very effective priest.
But not everyone has easy access to that sort of stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Mart,

Please make sure that the fish you ar knocking out are over the the size limit. If they are any heavy object will do

Woodster

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Wheelbrace does it for me or rather the very few fish big enough that I manage to catch :)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I made one out of 10inches of broom handle then painted it, had it for years works every time,

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
If you must kill a fish deliberatly just bite it hard behind the head! Practise it though as you could dislocate your neck vertebrae.

Also trying to work out how you've got enough room to carry a wheelbrace to the beach? Could it be something to do with changing tyres (peeler homes?) to win the tidal race?

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I get it! Idleness and an inability to prioritize what to take with you! Or is it that you take the wheelbrace with you to remove the wheels of 4X4s which insist upon despoiling the beach. Bet you they also drive Jetskis!

Actually wheel nuts make excellent casting weights also. (I used to thread them on thin nylon and wedge them in cracks when climbing, these days they buy purpose made ones)

Perhaps they took the 'cars' onto the beach to kill fish by running over them? Actually I bet they were cockling! A farmer at Red Wharf Bay in Abglesey used to make his beer money towing cars that had gone cockling (cockeling sounds somehow better!) and got bogged down. IF IT WAS UP TO ME I'D LEAVE THEM THERE, CLARKSON'S GOT A LOT TO ANSWER FOR!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
To the best of my knowledge the owners of these vehicles have never ridden, much less owned a jetski and consider them as much of a nuisance as you do neither have they driven over a fish to kill it and would probably consider the idea abhorrent-you are, however correct in that this was the beach that Clarkson et al were driving on but as it's 7 miles long the part they were using is accessable only by a very determined walker(try walking 5 miles from the nearest entrance especially with a seat box and rod on your back) a 4x4 or a C-130 transport plane it also contains some of the best marks for fishing, as Hercules planes are not readily available a 4x4 is the only real alternative. Use of these is perfectly legal as long as the purpose is for 'traditional sea angling'. As part of a post grad environmental science course last year I undertook a beach litter survey on this beach and found that the vast majority of litter was deposited by recreational beach users EXCLUDING anglers and could not find any evidence of 4x4 users leaving anything behind except for tyretracks. This beach hold a European Blue Flag covering the 1/2 mile either side of the main entrance and as such any vehicle use is limited to merely passing through this area at 15 mph so those with 4x4s pass through and fish outside the main area used by others-I have seen anglers fishing within this area which, in Summer is full of toddlers paddling, with all the attendant dangers of lost tackle.

Incidentaly the vehicles in question are: from left to right: my (aged) Range Rover, Landylovers Series ii Land Rover and Blueskips' Discovery

·
Registered
568 Posts
swelleyman said:
CLARKSON'S GOT A LOT TO ANSWER FOR!
Totally OT, but Clarkson could indeed have a lot to answer for soon. He has just bought a house over here (an old lighthouse with cottages) right next to a prime fishing spot... I wonder how long it will be before he tries to stop me walking past his front door en route to nearby fishing spots...

Perhaps I am paranoid, but I was refused entry somewhere else today and am still ever so slightly annoyed :(

If only I had been carrying a priest with me.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks Mike -welcome to join us any time you feel like descending down to the land of the Troggs ... :)

·
Banned
20 Posts
beaches are for bathers and fishers not motors
getting back to main point of this post
look in local council dump and look for old chair leg
normally made out of hard wood so strong heave and cheap
you can cut it to the size you want

1 - 20 of 29 Posts