World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just back from working abroad for 5 years and I'm looking forward to getting some fishing done.

I live in Port Seton, so first and foremost it would be good to know what fishing has been like here since the power station disappeared? Also, is anyone catching there during winter?

It would be interesting to hear what people are catching around East Lothian in general as well though, but as I don't have a car, Cockenzie is my most reachable sea fishing location at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
17,433 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just back from working abroad for 5 years and I'm looking forward to getting some fishing done.

I live in Port Seton, so first and foremost it would be good to know what fishing has been like here since the power station disappeared? Also, is anyone catching there during winter?

It would be interesting to hear what people are catching around East Lothian in general as well though, but as I don't have a car, Cockenzie is my most reachable sea fishing location at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome Nick. Not fished it since the summer so unsure however get yourself along if you can brace the cold you never know what can be thrown up. Used to live there myself Rowanhill Drive & I used to own the Weyms Hotel so know the area very well. The mouth of the harbour used to produce for me but again it’s been many a year since I did any winter fishing in that area. Give it a go you’ll never know. If you can be bothered jumping on a bus the back of the cat & dog home at portobello is normally decent. Also m8 there’s a Scottish section so perhaps you should ask the same question on there in the chance you’ll get better info.
Tight Lines

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually live in Rowanhill Drive myself! :happy:. Thanks for your reply, yeah, in previous years I've always done okay down there during summer months (mackies, Bass, mullet, eels, coalies, flounder, gurnard, so on and so forth), but in terms of winter fishing, I think I went once and caught nothing. Also, with Mike's Tackle Shop not there anymore, do you know the nearest place I can get some bait without having to go all the way up to the Fishing Megastore in Granton or digging it myself?

I'll post this thread on the Scottish section as well, cheers!

·
Premium Member
17,433 Posts
I actually live in Rowanhill Drive myself! :happy:. Thanks for your reply, yeah, in previous years I've always done okay down there during summer months (mackies, Bass, mullet, eels, coalies, flounder, gurnard, so on and so forth), but in terms of winter fishing, I think I went once and caught nothing. Also, with Mike's Tackle Shop not there anymore, do you know the nearest place I can get some bait without having to go all the way up to the Fishing Megastore in Granton or digging it myself?

I'll post this thread on the Scottish section as well, cheers!
isn’t that weird we lived in the same street
I was number 8, fourth house on the right as you drive in. No sorry unaware of anything now that mikes has closed. Could be a long shot but does the ship shandlers round by the harbour not sell fishing gear/bait ?. Probably not just a thought. Maybe you could just try mackerel, whitebait, something like that or it’s a hike to granton

·
Premium Member
17,433 Posts
It the general tool and work wear store next to mckirdys opp the co-op
Cheers
I’m not sure of it m8 although I passed it recently. I’m assuming it’s the place that used to be an antique shop ? Near the Chinese ? Having said that I’m unsure of your age and the antique shop has probably been away 15 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only moved to the area four years ago. Your right it's that block next to the Chinese. He's s local guy known by everyone it seems.
And bye the way the wemys is closed now
Thorntree better anyway lately

·
Premium Member
17,433 Posts
Only moved to the area four years ago. Your right it's that block next to the Chinese. He's s local guy known by everyone it seems.
And bye the way the wemys is closed now
Thorntree better anyway lately
The wymess was a great pub m8 but the problem was a company called punch taverns bought it over and it never been the same they are landlords and couldn’t care a hoot about the lease holder. Thorntree was ok but bit of an old mans pub for my liking although I did go it for a quiet one. I’m thinking about moving back to the area but still in two minds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts