World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks i was planning on buying an HTO Nebula 9'6 15-56g for plugging for bass but i now find myself on the fence with the daiwa whisker 10ft 10-60g...is there anyone out there who has tried or bought both and if so what do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Almost! I've had a 9ft 10-40g whisker and have a 9ft 12-42g nebula, not the exact rods but this maybe of some help:

The nebula has a more sensitive tip and a more powerful butt with it's faster taper "J" curve blank that I would rate as 10-45g (surface lures 15 to 30g). The rings and spacings are better at avoiding wind knots and ring wrap with braid but I don't like the handle layout and resulting balance.

The whisker has a slower taper and is more a "C" curve that I would rate as 10-35g (surface lures 10 to 23g). Rings and spacings could be better with braid as I think it's rung for mono but I prefer the feel and balance of the handle.

P.s.I hold the rod with two fingers either side of the reel stem at all times plus I like parallel Cork handles and after 45yrs and I'm not changing now. If you hold the rod with your whole hand in front of the reel the rods won't feel the same for you as they do to me.

Tbh I had more pleasure actually catching fish on the whisker than the nebula but my ideal would probably be a mix or half way house between both rods. You need to have both rods side by side for you to choose the best for you as they are very different but because they are at the two ends of spinning/lure rod design you, like me, might find your ideal action is between the two.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hi folks i was planning on buying an HTO Nebula 9'6 15-56g for plugging for bass but i now find myself on the fence with the daiwa whisker 10ft 10-60g...is there anyone out there who has tried or bought both and if so what do you prefer and why?
I have two Nebulas: an eight-footer and a nine-footer. Both are absolutely excellent, and if I didn't already have a Shimano Aernos 10-foot 10-50g, which can actually handle two ounces, I would have no hesitation in looking at a bigger Nebula. Plus points: very light but powerful blank, genuine Fuji reel seat, comfortable handle, anti-frap Fuji rings, great value for money.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
the 56 grm nebby of mine is 9'11 1/2 inch for what its worth , marvelous rod for range fishing i dont think i would like it sub 20 grms tho, got others for that.
if you like winding a floro leader through your tip forget any nebula

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
the 56 grm nebby of mine is 9'11 1/2 inch for what its worth , marvelous rod for range fishing i dont think i would like it sub 20 grms tho, got others for that.
if you like winding a floro leader through your tip forget any nebula
Good point about Nebula small guides. I use a tiny trout tippet ring to connect my fluorocarbon leader to the braid with uni knots. The ring will go through the guides when tackling up or de-tackling, but I wouldn't have it through the guides when casting. I don't lure fish at night so can ensure this doesn't happen accidentally.
The Nebula's Fuji guides look too small, but are very effective at not tangling the braid and causing crack-offs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts