World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, yes another rod recommendation question, sorry.

I've been trawling the forums looking for a recommendation in a medium spin/lure rod for use from the shore. And for a budget (£100, to include reel).

Now all forums posts seem to throw up the HTO Shore Game, but I see it's smdiscontinued. Anyone know what has replaced it?

Hooligan? Rock hopper? Glide Walker?

Or can you point me at a 10-30g (or 40g} casting multi lure rod, to surface and jig head lure fish. Mainly for bass, mackerel, pollock etc.

Oh, ond perhaps a reel!

***Edit: I did mean HTO Lure Game. Sorry ***

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think you are referring to the HTO Lure Game that's been discontinued. Shore Games are over £300. Lure Game replaced by Hooligan I believe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Was listening to a podcast today called 'lured'. One of the blokes on it worked with a chap called George who owns/runs tronix. This bloke on the podcast and George designed the HTO lure rod range.
The HTO Nebula is the best selling lure rod of the year apparently.
Worth a look?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd argue George doesn't know his face from his elbow.. or something like that.

Sling up a link to the podcast, worth a listen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As far as I am aware, Pete Cook, from LureHub, has been heavily involved in the design of the new Shore Game range.
Thats the fella, Pete cook.
George ran the company, pete helped with the design.

Ill find the link

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I’ll be interested to know how they’ve ‘updated’ the current range of Shore Games.
Not sure how the SG 9’ 3” could be improved really.
I can only imagine they must be using a different blank and maybe producing some different lengths and ratings.

Like new and improved Daz!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I’ll be interested to know how they’ve ‘updated’ the current range of Shore Games.
Not sure how the SG 9’ 3” could be improved really.
I can only imagine they must be using a different blank and maybe producing some different lengths and ratings.

Like new and improved Daz!!
I know the grip and reel seat area is completely different. New blank and new rod lengths.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's a deposit on a house!!!!
You said Shore Game replacement!! It is expensive and that price won't include import duty, so it's actually more expensive!
You probably want to checkout HTO nebula's, Nomura and the Diawa Prorex range of rods. Also Sakura have some great budget rods.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You said Shore Game replacement!! It is expensive and that price won't include import duty, so it's actually more expensive!
You probably want to checkout HTO nebula's, Nomura and the Diawa Prorex range of rods. Also Sakura have some great budget rods.
I'm actually shopping tomorrow for my first rod and reel.
Got around 100 on rod. Bit less on reel.

This was iwanellis recommendation thread.. ive picked up some good info though

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm actually shopping tomorrow for my first rod and reel.
Got around 100 on rod. Bit less on reel.

This was iwanellis recommendation thread.. ive picked up some good info though
The rod and braid you choose to use are probably the most important items you can buy to make the fishing experience better. If I was choosing a rod I would go for a rod that weights about 120-140g, casts about 30g, has a fast to regular fast action..ie quite stiff but not poker stiff ie if you waggle it the rod tip moves a bit, if it doesn't move a bit it will still be probably quite good for surface and soft plastic lures, but you might lose some sensation from vibrating lures, also if you do waggle a rod the time that the tip takes to stop moving after you've waggled is called the recovery, I like a quick recovery rate. Thats just my personal preference. I would recommend a diawa ninja, shimano catana..but also the shimano scienna and cross fire are dirt cheap in terms of reels. The last 2 I've only used the crossfire but I think shimano and diawa have offset a lot of their mid range quality on their low end reels as they want to reel you in slowly and like most companies they are well aware of the upgrade culture we live in. A bit like upgrading a phone...I couldn't tell the difference between a £1oo samsung and a £600 one. If you can get the match Ninja with spider wire stealth 8 braid in 20lb I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts