World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys

Going to Hua Hin in Thailand first two weeks of Sept, mainly a coarse angler, but have a dabble with sea fishing badly on holiday, yet to catch any thing on a spinner or plug from the beach , only mullet on coarse tactics and a few rubbish days out on boats. Anyway having looked on a few threads it seems fishing poppers looks good I have a shimano STC 10/11 spinning rod but I get the impression they lack a bit of grunt for the tropics, was thinking about getting the Wychwood travel catfish rod ( all rounder for bait fishing/poppers/ piers and if I'm desperate catfish from the commercial fisheries over there ). Now first question is there any point or will it just be another rod for the large collection ?. 2) anyone know what the beach fishing is like ? 3) are there any charter boats you can go out on ( and I read on a thread a good indication of the boat/captain is whether they fish with live baits) ?.

Cheers Martin

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was staying at Cha am - a couple of miles East I think, in Feb 07.
I did plenty of lure casting from the beach with no luck. There was a distinct lack of other anglers/fishermen from the shore in that area.
I located a small group of locals who were casting small pieces of fish on size 8 or 10 hooks fished with a 1oz lead. They were catching a few little Wrasse or Bream type fish. I joined them and rigged up in a similar way, catching a few of these small fish - 2 or 3 oz.

There is a pier at Hua Hin, and there were a lot of anglers/fishermen there. It seemed popular to be casting out small feathers/shrimp rigs and they were bringing in small Herring/Mackerel type fish.

At the end of Hua Hin pier, there were commercial fishermen landing their catch. There was hardly a fish above 3lb in weight, but quite a few different species.

I didn't manage to find any good sea fishing in the area, but I wasn't on a fishing holiday, and I was concentrating on making the most of my fishing chances when we moved on to Bangkok. If you like catching small interesting species (I do) then its worth bringing some light tackle.

The freshwater fishing is another matter. I didn't see any fisheries around Hua Hin, but I fished Bungsamran in Bangkok 2 years running with great results: loads of Meekong Catfish to 95lb (up to 25 fish per day), Striped Catfish and Giant Siamese Carp.
If you fish with a guide at Bungsamran, it would be very hard not to catch lots of big fish:happy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts