World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
This is close to me, we have them in my area as well as great whites. A couple of my spear fishing mates were swimming with a 5m great white at the weekend.

Note the 15kg gear used to catch it, many on here wouldn't fish that light for blues.

Shame to see such a big fish killed just for a few photos and to break a record.

JonD

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I do wonder about the mentality of people who look at that picture and feel proud that it's them with that creature hung up dead, but that's none of my business..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
269 Posts
There not known to my area but that tiger shouldn't be hung up as a trophy catch. Many say it or roll their eyes but why kill it?

A great catch yes but after surviving years to grow to such size it seems such a waste just to have a picture and say "yup, I'm the numpty who caught and killed this big boy".

Good catch but I don't agree with the end result.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I watched that new film angel of the sea last night, the story that Moby Dick was based on and honestly flinched and it turned my stomach to see the whales being harpooned..... Bloody cruel and heartless killing turns on me.

G

·
This is close to me, we have them in my area as well as great whites. A couple of my spear fishing mates were swimming with a 5m great white at the weekend.

Note the 15kg gear used to catch it, many on here wouldn't fish that light for blues.

Shame to see such a big fish killed just for a few photos and to break a record.

JonD
i agree john, though i think taking a fish that size on gear that light would probably go a long way to killing it anyway.
cheers rab

G

·
It reminds me of the Common Skate/Porbeagle photos of the late 60s and 70s, all dangling off a gantry. As a small boy I used to be impressed, but I learned to be disgusted.
it was the accepted norm back in the day john, so i don't hold it against anyone. times move on and attitudes change and the majority of people will just not kill fish for no purpose these days .
cheers rab

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I killed and released sharks back in the UK 30 years ago. Killed sharks were eaten and not wasted just like any other fish I caught. Even here I've kept small mako sharks as they are good to eat and in very good numbers.

These days most of us are aware many species are under threat as well as the eating qualities can be quite dangerouse in high end predators. Flake is the name shark meat goes under in fish and chip shops here which is as popular as cod in the UK. The smaller sharks used in the comercial industry aren't as rare as the giant sharks like this tiger.

Killing a huge animal only to dump it at the end of the day isn't for me and the majority of anglers in this day and age.

As for almost being dead catching it on light gear, I would disagree especially with tiger sharks. These are a big heavy slow fight that are more like hooking to the bottom than a fight. Unlike the fast aggressive fighters that use all their energy in fast runs and jumps these heavy weights just plod along. I've caught tigers from 1.5m to 3.5m and the fight is always the same, even though not intensional hooked they have all been released.

JonD

·
Registered
565 Posts
I ag
I killed and released sharks back in the UK 30 years ago. Killed sharks were eaten and not wasted just like any other fish I caught. Even here I've kept small mako sharks as they are good to eat and in very good numbers.

These days most of us are aware many species are under threat as well as the eating qualities can be quite dangerouse in high end predators. Flake is the name shark meat goes under in fish and chip shops here which is as popular as cod in the UK. The smaller sharks used in the comercial industry aren't as rare as the giant sharks like this tiger.

Killing a huge animal only to dump it at the end of the day isn't for me and the majority of anglers in this day and age.

As for almost being dead catching it on light gear, I would disagree especially with tiger sharks. These are a big heavy slow fight that are more like hooking to the bottom than a fight. Unlike the fast aggressive fighters that use all their energy in fast runs and jumps these heavy weights just plod along. I've caught tigers from 1.5m to 3.5m and the fight is always the same, even though not intensional hooked they have all been released.

JonD
I agree shark is really good to eat, pointless killing a fantastic fish like this though.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
63,074 Posts
I do wonder about the mentality of people who look at that picture and feel proud that it's them with that creature hung up dead, but that's none of my business..:rolleyes:
The things the human race does to nature :(:(:(

I just can't get my head round why it had to be killed.......just for a photo.

We live in a sad world.............Appalling and Disgusting.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I cannot imagine that the fish was just chucked back to be crab food. It is fascinating that nearly all the comments on this angling page are negative toward the anglers, we are anglers, we might not agree with their course of action, but, it wasn't illegal and it was there decision, why not commend the feat of angling to land such a great fish?

I think that the comment in the article was very telling;

"Even local fishermen were too concerned to go on the record, claiming the media incited "greenies" and "do-gooders" and placed even more pressure on governments and fishing groups to change angling laws.

"They just don't want the heat," one fisherman said on condition of anonymity.

"The last thing anyone wants is for more marine parks or green spaces where we can't fish."

We need to stick together, as we are threatened with a ban via the back door through the introduction of marine conservation areas that will restrict angling.

Evelyn Beatrice hall's famous line "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it," could be adapted to "I don't agree with your fishing, but, will defend your right to do it". If we were all united as anglers we could defend angling as a whole. Sadly, it won't happen as can be seen by the reaction in Australia and here.

·
Premium Member
39,489 Posts
Every day of the week thousands of sharks are killed for food mainly shark fin soup, and there is no law against doing it.

This chap catches one shark and all hell breaks loose, if there is anything wrong with society it is it's lack of understanding of the world at large.

If you want to help the shark population chase the people who are wiping them out and not some over excited angler who catches one potential world record on such light gear.

·
Registered
14,766 Posts
Every day of the week thousands of sharks are killed for food mainly shark fin soup, and there is no law against doing it.

This chap catches one shark and all hell breaks loose, if there is anything wrong with society it is it's lack of understanding of the world at large.

If you want to help the shark population chase the people who are wiping them out and not some over excited angler who catches one potential world record on such light gear.
And I'll think you will find that the rules of WSF prohibit the discussion of what any angler does with his catch. Catch and release or Catch and Kill it's the angler's prerogative.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
As far as legalities, in some states here in Aus it is illegal to kill them over a certain size, so if you head over here check the rules as they change from state to state.

Many have the rule 70cm from the front of the first dorsal to the rear of the second, this equates to a maximum overal size bellow 2 m.

As far as remarks about the millions of sharks killed per year for food, isn't there a difference between killing for food and just killing to dump after a photo.

By the way nobody on here is discussing anything with the person who caught the fish, I don't believe he's even a member on here,

JonD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts