World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Generally a planing hull won't have a keel or bilge keels. Stern looks flat so would generate a bit of lift so I would say semi displacement. What engine power does it have? I suspect it would need a lot for a bit over hull speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Generally a planing hull won't have a keel or bilge keels. Stern looks flat so would generate a bit of lift so I would say semi displacement. What engine power does it have? I suspect it would need a lot for a bit over hull speed.
It’s said to have a mermaid 140 in it. And said to cruise at 10k and top out at 12 to 13.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I do like the look and layout of the boat. But unfortunately I would like to go a bit faster than 12 knots. Not always but if I had to make my way in for any reason and had to punch the tide it’s going to be a struggle. Real shame as it looks a cracking boat

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Yes I do like the look and layout of the boat. But unfortunately I would like to go a bit faster than 12 knots. Not always but if I had to make my way in for any reason and had to punch the tide it’s going to be a struggle. Real shame as it looks a cracking boat
id sooner punch the tide in something like that if it blew up snotty, rather than have to drop my speed to around the same in a flip floppy little plastic bathtub, being flung all over like a rag doll.

as the old saying goes, the boat will take far more than the skipper will. and something with a decent amount of power and weight cant be beaten on days that keep the flip flop mob tied up

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Yes he has told me boat name. And maker. Where it was made etc. unfortunately it would need a new power plant to make any sort of speed. Dam shame as it really is a lovely looking boat

I think you'd be on a hiding to nothing to get more speed out of it - even doubling the power probably wouldn't give you much and even when you got more speed a deep keel and the bilge keels would likely cause stability issues if pushed beyond what it's designed to do. I'd look elsewhere if more speed is a deal-breaking criteria - and I can understand your point of view - 12 knots wouldn't be enough for me either. Shame - I've looked at the ad and it looks like they've fitted a lot of good looking boat into the 23ft.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yes he has told me boat name. And maker. Where it was made etc. unfortunately it would need a new power plant to make any sort of speed. Dam shame as it really is a lovely looking boat
Who is the maker? You should be able to look up other sister ships and find out what power they have and what speeds they get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts