World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
plenty of flounders and the odd sole towards the bridge i,ve heard, if thats what you,re into i,d try Barton on these big tides, Just beyond the grass for a chance of sole on maddies and small hooks. Chris

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
And dont forget the wells catfishes.............i have a pic of one caught on hessle forshore last week in a fed match lol

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Was that from the Humber Macky??

Wanna hope they don't get a good foot hold if it was, look what they've done to the Ebro, about the only fish left is Cats :)

AL ..

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That's a baby simmo, would be about 2 years old.

AL ..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
well if there,s one baby, there could be loads...
time will tell.. be plenty of whiting soon for live bait. if there,s more there some one will get one...
was,nt there a dead one washed up down that way a while back..

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
That's how it all started in the Ebro, i think it was some German anglers introduced a few babies, after about 10 years, they'd completely taken over, there's little else in the Ebro now other than Cats and large Carp, the big cats will take VERY LARGE Carp, whole.

I *thought* Wels Catfish were fresh water only, but if that one came from salt water, they must either be able to adapt or survive in Salt water, maybe only for a short time and the one(s) caught came in from the freshwater rivers and survuved long enough to get caught, I dunno :)

AL ..

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
That's how it all started in the Ebro, i think it was some German anglers introduced a few babies, after about 10 years, they'd completely taken over, there's little else in the Ebro now other than Cats and large Carp, the big cats will take VERY LARGE Carp, whole.

I *thought* Wels Catfish were fresh water only, but if that one came from salt water, they must either be able to adapt or survive in Salt water, maybe only for a short time and the one(s) caught came in from the freshwater rivers and survuved long enough to get caught, I dunno :)

AL ..
I've had a quick google and they do appear to be a freshwater species with the ability to survive in salt water long enough to spawn in the spring and summer months:clap3:,

catfish ,chips and mushy peas some how does not sound right..............:fishing:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
there was a dead catfish washed up in bay 26 either earlier this year or back end of last. Mate of mine had a piccy on his phone, it was a beast.

Conservative estimates put it at over 50lb !!! Now that would pull ya string!

As already mentioned though they eat everything! They would well and truly dessimate the river stocks if they did get a foothold further up in any of the rivers that feed into the Humber.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
i think there is more catfish about in our river systems than we realise..
You're right Bob, there are.
I've heard of cats being caught by anglers and also in the weed cutter/collector boats that the EA use in a few rivers and many reports of sightings, they don't seem to be able to breed too well in our rivers for some reason, lets hope they don't get the hang of it one day :)

AL ..

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
i fish a fen river... ( not drain ) for carp.. water very clear.. and twice in 3 trips have had a cat of about 40lb hanging on the end of my spud rod while baiting up early morning.. the drainage board also find them in smaller drains..
the one,s up at hessel could come from mile,s in land...

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
i fish a fen river... ( not drain ) for carp.. water very clear.. and twice in 3 trips have had a cat of about 40lb hanging on the end of my spud rod while baiting up early morning.. the drainage board also find them in smaller drains..
the one,s up at hessel could come from mile,s in land...
Get a dead roach on the end and see if you can hook him :)

AL ..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts