World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate picked me up at 1am and we walked up to the castle for low water at 2am. In view of strong winds I suspected there would be no bream so we gave the usual areas a miss and walked on towards Keyhaven river mouth, stopping to tackle up in the lee of the black yacht racing hut.

We then tried various baits between the hut and the river mouth on both sides of the bank, ie inside and outside Keyhaven river. On the outside we fished big squid and lug baits for bass, lug and rag for sole on the inside. Result - absolutely jack s..t except a tiny eel in the river and a pout on the other side. We kept it up till first light and I then tried spinning all round the point, spooked afew mullet on the edge and got no bass whatsoever. All this time the wind was falling off and I was looking at the lights of people fishing back at the castle and wishing we'd stayed up there.

Eventually at 7.30 we made the move and fished the last hour and a half of the flood by the castle. The folks up there confirmed there were virtually no bream (yes I was pleased), we chucked the baits out and blanked again. I then spent the last hour of the tide hour spinning and float fishing for no result. The ebb set in, and we were on the point of packing up when the mackerel started to pour round the corner.

After 20 minutes I had a dozen mackerel on wedge and they started to fade away. Again, I was just about to give up when the water started to boil on the edge. This time it was bass and after a couple of twelve inchers I managed a 2 pounder.

All in all it was a knackering trip but we ended on a high note. I can think of very few pleasures to compare with standing at Hurst castle at 9 on a sunny morning and feeling a lure stop dead in the water !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I fished on Suday afternoon/evening, it was rather windy to say the least! Can confirm it looks like the Black Bream have moved off, normally I can catch quite a few close in but nothing!

Had some very small Wrasse and eventually managed a couple of Mackerel, guys fishing right on the point at distance did have the odd Bream.

Shame you did not connect with those sole!

·
Registered
307 Posts
fished there monday evening till midnight. past someone who fished the early flood tide. he had a good sesssion, ten bream and a cracking one an half pound red mullet. i fished in front off the castle for bass. there where mackerel about and i got a few for fresh bait.started fishing an the bream where knocking my baits from the off. some must of bin a good size pulling the rod quite well..i persevered with the big bait hook approach but only had one bass about three pounds or so..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thats a goood looking fish there. Now Red Mullet there is one I would like to catch any idea what he was using distance and location?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thats a goood looking fish there. Now Red Mullet there is one I would like to catch any idea what he was using distance and location?
no idea what bait he used mate, but he was fishing twenty odd yards back towards the castle from the point (facing the i of w.).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts