Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
It's cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
What makes you think it's Japanese - I had a quick scan of the link and no mention of country of origin but I would be 99% certain it's Chinese - but yes you're probably right about it being a copy of a Japanese engine - most of the Chinese engines are such - that doesn't mean they're good though - numerous strories of problems with Parsun and Hidea - the Chinese engines that have previously found their way to the UK.

But even if it was a properly built engine that won't fall apart first time you use it - are you sure it will arrive once you've paid your money?

And finally, the link states it's a two stroke - unless they've found a miracle way of making a direct fuel injection system that takes no space and costs next to nothing - it will be fueled by a carburettor, in which case it won't meet European emission regs, which is another reason I suspect it may never arrive.

Stick your money into a 10-15 year old pre-owned engine of a recognised brand, and let someone else gamble their money on a Hyfong!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Parson, Hidea and Vector 4 strokes all come from the same factory in China and all are direct copies of a particular silver cased Japanese engine (that looks remarkably like the Vector finished product).
The difference is the materials to build them and possibly the tolerances are not the same as the original Japanese product and so performance and reliability is often an issue.
I suspect that the Hyfong is another copy of something else, but will be along the same lines.

The next problem is servicing and warranty as most of these copies are imported by a sole agent with a relatively small dealer network.

Personally, I would consider a 2.5 4 stroke copy BUT only with the following additional considerations.
NB: I personally wouldn't consider any of the larger engines and would save my pennies.
1) If it is (for example) £500 less than fabulous! ...assuming the engine works
2) Bear in mind that servicing a main brand will cost iro £150 each time
3) If the engine works for just 3 years and you don't service it at all then happy days, chuck it away and compared with a main brand it has been all but free.

The above is obviously a little bit of a risk. What happens if it packs up a few months after purchase?

I would also not buy one for use as an emergency back up which is what most of us would consider. I would only use one on a tender or similar where my crew and my own life will not be in danger if it fails to start as I can resort to the oars!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers for the replies guess you made my mind up for me... out of interest what size back up should I be looking to get for a 17ft dell quay (centre console) main engine is a 90hp so wanting to keep the weight down on the back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
living in Spain i know that many people have bought 5.1kva genorators from china and when thay arrive thay are crap copys of the big H and are only 3.1kva last aprox 1 month i have warned many of our customers about this and yet idiots still buy from CHINA it takes no stretch of the imagination to see that any engine from there is a big No, No. would you buy a car or suit from there. enough said.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Cheers for the replies guess you made my mind up for me... out of interest what size back up should I be looking to get for a 17ft dell quay (centre console) main engine is a 90hp so wanting to keep the weight down on the back.
Some of the 4/5/6hp engines from a manufacturer are exactly the same engine just tuned differently so you get 50% more power from the 6hp than the 4hp for the same weight.
5 or 6hp would be my choice on your boat & as you can get the 6hp giving 20% more power than a 5hp for the same weight from some well known makers then 6hp would be my choice.
The Tohatsu/Mariner/Mercury 4/5/6hp are all the identical same motor, weighing 25kgs, just different tunes & different badging so I would look for the best deal I could get on a 6hp one of those.

headlight

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have had still got a Waterman 9.8 hp 2 stroke had it for 4 to 5 years now used it enough to know what they are .... after a plug change to iridium and properly measured oil In the fuel flawless operation... recommendations.... when washing it run the motor like normal but disconnect then fuel hose when finished and let it run the bowl empty also Gearleg oil get a good brand oil from day one change the plugs too... when starting it prime the line till goes hard choke it pull it over till it pops off the choke 1/3 1/4 throttle then pull . it should start every time.... I have found using a half a tank then topping up new fuel new oil it always ends with more and more smoke .... complete new fuel every now and then maybe

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Comment deleted from this 7.5 year old thread - just seen the above poster's comments in the also resurrected Parsun thread - obviously on one about Chinese outboards!

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
mmm

It's a Tohatsu. M3.5A2/B2 | Portable | OUTBOARDS | TOHATSU International
I had one in Merc format. Was a great little engine until it needed tuning. Then I noticed there wasn't much to tune. Or fix for that matter. It works or it doesn't. So mine's now somewhere in Caernarfon Bay. Great service for 6 years. They only cost about £500 quid or less when new. Cheap as chips and value served.

Reactions: Norm B

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Actually the bracket is identical to the one on my merc. Which incidently did not come from Suzhou Mercury Marine next door to Suzhou Parsun. Though half here with Mercury probably cant lay the same claim. Small world hey. Anyway, back to point. Tohatsu shipped them out the door for everyone to slap a sticker on. Not much pride there. It's a numbers game. Which raises an intersting point. Why copy something that has essentially flooded the market cheap as chips for any old maker to slap a sticker on and upsell, when you cant make and sell yours for any less.That's a head banger of a market to break into. Much easier to defraud the gullible with a coverted weed eater

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
The swivel (not the actual bracket) is just one difference - the leg is a different shape, the cowling is different and the tiller is also different - so not an identical engine to the Tohatsu/Evinrude/Johnson/Mercury/Mariner, but no doubt lots of copied, maybe even shared parts.
The Chinese Mercury / Mariners (40, 50 & 60hp) are not the same as the smaller Mercs which are rebadged Tohatsus - are any Tohatsus made in China?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Well there are Japanese partners. This narrows the playing field. I wont say Tohatsu though, I mean their model is just to manufacture and get it out the door. Seems they'll do a deal with anyone. Butat the end of the day it would not surprise me at all to find they are all in bed together. You scratch my back, I scratch yours, lets divide the turf up.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Anyway, all this disbelief. I actually opened my Merc ? Tohatsu ? up. Like I said. You dont get much for your £500 quid. That's today's prices, they're still for sale. I was hoping to be impressed but my honest impression was the Chinese would have made it better. When it ran it ran great but can you say cheap? I mean really cheap.
I wonder if I should be asking if Tohatsu didn't actually contract that engine out to China. No I'm not being facetious. Start at the fuel petcock, work your way down. Mine in it's last days leaked more fuel than it used. Ordered genuine spares, you have to, nothing else fits. Came from China. Kid you not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts