World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Hythe

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  yakker 
#1 ·
#2 ·
think you might just have found the lost city of ATLANTIS :laugh::laugh::laugh:

#9 ·
Its that slippery green concrete platform with mussels and the red cap on it. Dunno what it is there for though, although it must be an overflow outlet from the RMC (check the signs on the Parade, they give some info on it) - its been there for a looong time. Doesn't seem to help or hinder the fishing. Its also not worth clambering on either as its a bit gunky on the feet.

#10 ·
It is indeed the outfall for the Royal Millitary Canal, been there a long time! It is denoted at high water by a post with an orange basket atop, as does the rock groyne to the left ,looking out to sea.
It was always a favorite peg of the 'big hitters' in the cod season, the old permanent pegs that were marked on top of the road wall were 21 to the right of the out fall and 20 to the left.
Being a fresh water outlet did not seem to affect the fishing at all, in fact in matchs it was a positive boon ,as eels, dabs, flounder, bass etc were attracted to the bits of food being washed out of the canal.
Local spring evening match's were often won from there with large bags of pout on crab baits,along with the bonus bigger fish.
The 2 biggest cod Ihave witnesed caught from the parade were a 21lb from old permanent peg 20 and a 19.5 lb from o/p/peg 21.! My own best from there being a mere whippersnapper of an 18lb lump.
This year a couple of unusual fish have already turned up there, being a couple of sizable brill a few months ago. Hope this helps, cheers, mick.

#13 ·
Thats my favorite spot on the whole of that stretch! Back when the sea came up to the wall I had some huge Sole from there and it's a spot that can produce some surprises. Fishing hard up against it I caught a whopping great big spider crab about eight years ago.

It being a feature on an otherwise featureless beach its always worth a go, I once looked over the edge of it at low tide to find two large bass mooching around in the outfall. They soon cleared off when they saw my ugly mug though!:roll1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.