World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided to get out for a couple of hours last night with a mate. we decided to go on margate harbour, just for ease. the fishing was slow but at about 11 ish an upset young lady come down the pier, this wasn't unusual for margate. she spent a good half hour sitting, crying and talking to people on the phone.

eventually she come and asked me for a light, we chatted for a bit. she still seemed upset but alright. she remarked that you would probably die if you fell in the sea tonight (it was cold). i said that nothings worth going in there, she agreed, we chatted for a bit and then she stood a few meters away from me (thinking). then her boyfriend come along, they was sorta arguing. something had obviosly happened during the night, she kept shouting to him that he said he'd off and left her and what he's doing here, the usual stuff.

me a my mate thought everything was calming down and thought nothing of it. then evrything went quite and as we turned to look at them we saw her throw her self over the edge. the boyfriend went in after her and managed to get her to the bottom of the ladders. my friend phoned the necessary while i ran up the pier to find that the life ring had been nicked. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. i ran back and went down the ladder to them both. they were both a cold and wet wreck. he could hardly hold on to the ladder and she was leaning back onto him, so i grabbed the ladder with one of my hands and held her arm with the other. i stayed like this for ages, i think it was the adrenalin that made me be able to keep holding her.

she needed alot of persuasion to come up the ladder and back onto dry land. i ended up trying to pull her up the ladder and also climb up myself (not an easy task). eventually they were both back on dry land and we were met by the coastgaurd. i stayed with them til they were ready to go to hospital, trying to keep them both talking and helping give the oxygen and walming them up.

by time everything was over it had gone 1 o clock, i was freezing, tired and had to get up for work in a few hours. so that was my good dead, i hope they're both ok now. really makes you think about life.

and now i'm bloody knackered.

on the up side she was deffo a PB, not too sure if she can go on my species list. LOL.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well done on the help you gave, a totally unexpected turn of events for you, just imagine if you would'nt have been there, they could've both ended up dead

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
but did you get her phone number ?

honestly nice one mate , well done wouldnt dwell on reasons or stuff that just messes with you someone drunk and upset isnt thinking straight
just be glad you helped her reach sobriety the next day
and gave her a chance to think about what couldve happened

·
Registered
24,879 Posts
I like your style and outcome Big guy ..it could have been rather deadly .

Congratulations and welcome to the lifesavers club.

David

:secret: Tell me what bait were you using ...I want to chuck out any I may have.:unsure:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
when i read the title, i thought, oh no, he caught something unwanted off a bird!! lol

but well done mate!! nice one!

Jamie

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i can't take all the credit, i wasn't the one that got wet and cold. i prob would've gone in but by time i had taken my tiga and heavy clothes off it may have been too late.

thinking about it now i could have easily lost a grip on the ladder and gone in too, you just don't think about that when the adrenalin is pumping.

i just hope that the couple make a donation to the RNLI as they got called out with the in shore boat aswell as the coastguard. great job you do guys BTW.

if her boyfriend wasn't there i prob would have got her number. then again if he wasn't there i would have got wet and cold, and expected a number. LOL

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Nice one mate, looks like the "Desire to save life" mechanism kicked in.

Good man.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts