World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I've just got back from a very long days, plugging, popping and spinning, i arrived at the bendricks at around 11.45, and as feared, the wind was giving it some, so i started off in the sandy bay just to the right of HMS Cambria.

Firstly, i rigged my bushwhacker with an Xrap 110 saltwater plug in nice bright colours, red head, and yellow/orange body, (cos the water was like drinking chocolate), nothing happening there, so switched to a rapala skitter pop, still nothing,, so moved down the beach in front of the old hospital still with the skitter pop attached, so i, pop, pop, stopped,,, pop, pop, stopped, over and over again and had zilch, nadda, fekk all, then put another Xrap 110 (green macky) on and had my first ever wind knot on my braid,, Aaaaaaaaaargghhh!!!! and had to tie my first ever albright knot (Mr Fishjersey's version,, (thanks Mick and Tom,), :thumbs:) in the field, with that sorted, i then headed down to the slipway in sully bay, here the wind was right in my face and i wasn't able to cast my lures more than 25yrds, so i switched to a 28grm flying condom but even that was hard work trying to get distance, then about 10 yrds from the shore, i hit a snag, Fekk it, i thought, i had Ozzy and Black Sabbath blasting (warpigs) in my ears, and just as i was going to tighten my drag and prepare to lose my FC, my rod nodded, and nodded again, :clap2:"YEAH FISH ON" 2 minutes later i landed my first schoolie on my whacker only about 1lb 8oz but i was chuffed, i then stayed glued to that spot for about an hour and half, trying to see if his daddy was about, but the tide pushed me too far back, i then headed down towards Sully island causeway stopping at every spot that "looked" fishy, to lob out a lure or two..

Towards the end of my sesh, i was at the back of the "old house* at St Marys well bay, where i chose to use a chugbug, i had a bit of shelter from the wind, but still managed to to get yet another wind knot in my braid,, i'd made about 3 dozen casts when i saw a flash next to my bug, (or was it the just the side of my popper that i could see?),, so i pop, pop, popped the lure and "WHAM" a fish came up from beneath the popper and jumped out of the water, at this point i think i panicked a bit and made my lure "run for it" before realising i should have just popped it once again and left it,, but it seems every sesh i have using lures, i discover something else that i shouldn't be doing,:uhuh:, to say that plugging is an alien concept at the moment, is an understatement but the "feel" of having even a small bass on such a light rod and braid is great, Right thats enough ranting,, Tight 'uns, Marc..:bones::victory::bones:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Cracking stuff Marc...well done for taking the plunge n getting out there :clap2:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well done on the Bass, thats why I love fluff chucking the adrenalin rush when you feel the fish hit is nuts!

A Golden grey or bass on a fly must be fun, maybe this year.

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done on the Bass, thats why I love fluff chucking the adrenalin rush when you feel the fish hit is nuts!

A Golden grey or bass on a fly must be fun, maybe this year.
LMAO,, Hey, i'm half way to the "DARK SIDE" already, next i'll be selling all of my beachcasters for a top of the range fly rod (NOT)..:crazy:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Top banana mate. Well done on sticking at it under the conditions. May have to hit the slip with the fly rod now!
I'll get you after the trout yet!
Ryan

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Marc sounds like you learnt a lot, and of course you know now which weather forecast to trust, all in all a god day at the seaside. Go out tonight and celebrate :drunk:

·
Registered
506 Posts
top marks for effort mate

shame the DADDY didnt fall for it, I had a similar session the first time i went spinning which was the last time I went fishing a few weeks ago!

That was a good detailed report! I might go spinning in the morning over surfing having read that!

Rich

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Well donr Marc - hard work rewarded :clap3:

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Marc - thats exceptional - very well done indeed - next fish youll be well & truely addicted :ahhh:

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Great report. Having had a couple of Bass on the surface with poppers all I can say is WOW! They seemed to hook themselves and then go like stink!
Many years ago when I was in the Royal Marines Reserve I used to take my recruits for a beach run and swim around the area you were . Always thought it looked a bit fishey!

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Excellent report and a great read, well done on having a go at plugging in the oxtail soup that is the Bristol channel:victory:

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
well done marc that was a good read haven`t tried poppers around here yet but i will soon when this wind dies lol and i always find that fish bite better listening to either a bit of iron or sabbeth don`t know why maybe they want to headbang as well lol tight`uns dude

1 - 20 of 29 Posts