World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are available on line and in the tackle shops, in fact there are so many, and many different types of rigs to chose from, some even offer to make rigs, to your specification. Is it really worth making your own and who in your opinion makes the best ready made rigs?.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I carry a range of ready made rigs as a backup but nearly always use ones I tie myself. There's a great satisfaction in catching on a rig you've tied yourself, and you have the flexibility to tweak the rig as you go.

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it's great satisfaction with your own made rigs, so what backup rigs would you recommend and did ever used them?.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Maybe it depends on how often you fish, but I think of it as a skill set that everyone would want to acquire, like casting is a skill set you learn.

Reactions: 36381

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you learn to tie your own rigs using the best components and your own favourite lines and catch fish the satisfaction factor increases, a bit more satisfaction if you gather your own bait and if the rig parts at a knot costing you a good fish no one to blame except yourself if a component breaks you know what not to buy next time!!
Eventually by trial and error you will be happy and confident that your rig is as good as it gets.
Pete

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Hiya Colin,
For my own peace of mind i make all my own rigs.
I'm using quality links, swivels, hooks & line & take care with my knots so i'm confident using them.
Shop bought may well be okay but they're not for me.
Rick;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've just started sea fishing and bought a ready made rig form a well known company, I am from a carp fishing background and I tested the hook points on a two hook flapper rig, they were as blunt as h*ll. I sharpened the points up and did the nail test until I was happy. My advice is to make your own rigs and use good hooks, it can make the difference between a hooked fish and a missed one...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I only get out sea fishing very rarely (average only 8-10 sessions per year due to distance from the coast) and for convenience and speed of set-up I have almost always used ready-made rigs. I have only had one rig fail in the past five years.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Any commercial made rigs are going to be made with profit in mind so quality isn't going to be highest priority, I always make my own rigs it's all part of being a angler, but shop bought have there uses for beginners to learn from or people that can't tie their own

·
Banned
108 Posts
Over the years i have bought and tried many rigs made by other companies and anglers i now have a small list of people i use as there rigs are reliable and made to a high quality as i work stupid hours and insane times in my job so basically i cannot be arsed to make rigs but that is just me. Most of my rigs are made by fellow sea anglers who use the money i presume to fund there fishing.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Thank you for your replies general agreement so far of making you own rigs, wonder who buys ready made rigs?.
I actually bought 5 or 6 of the ready made single hook clipped down Greys rigs a couple of years ago over in Ireland-
I'd only taken my pike rod & scratching rigs over & was smashed up by a couple of big Huss. I had my rig bits box but no big hooks so had a quick ride into the nearest town & saw the rigs in the Post Office, i bought them, cut the hooks off & knocked a couple of my own pulley rigs (if you read this- Sorry Jackjock) up then hit the mark again.
Result- this bad boy
20170305_113806.jpg
Maybe i would've landed it on the shop bought rig & it was an expensive way of doing it but i did'nt want to take that chance.
Rick;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mainly make my own but have some Gemini ready rigs which aren't bad, their own components with (I think) coxs and Rawl uptide Viking hooks.

Was talking to somebody who should know a couple years back about the rigs I'd bought from ebay. His main observation was how poor the hooks where and I've taken note of that ever since.

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually bought 5 or 6 of the ready made single hook clipped down Greys rigs a couple of years ago over in Ireland-
I'd only taken my pike rod & scratching rigs over & was smashed up by a couple of big Huss. I had my rig bits box but no big hooks so had a quick ride into the nearest town & saw the rigs in the Post Office, i bought them, cut the hooks off & knocked a couple of my own pulley rigs (if you read this- Sorry Jackjock) up then hit the mark again.
Result- this bad boy View attachment 741057 Maybe i would've landed it on the shop bought rig & it was an expensive way of doing it but i did'nt want to take that chance.
Rick;)
Nice one Rick.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts