World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been fishing for about 10years now, and would say i was a half decent fisherman with a lot of local knowledge(not trying to be a big head!) i always end up fishing rocky beaches or rock marks like aberthaw or witches or strumble etc. a few weeks ago i fished newport beach in pembrokshire, there wasa brilliant surf there and i realised i didnt have a clue what to do there, im used to hurling massive mackeral and squid baits of rocks. but i rearlly want to crack surf fishing this year. any tips please?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
flounder you want 2up 1 down rigs with ragworm and maddies, also lug tipped with maddies can be good, Bass you want either a 1 hook long range clip down or a running ledger rig baited with lug but razor also works well in some conditions.distance casting is usually not needed, make sure you dont over cast for flounder fishing

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi Pikeman

Along with Marcus I've arranged to join a group of forum readers for a days fishing at llangenith on Tuesday July 31st. We have a full group and Marcus has closed the thread, but please feel free to come along as my guest...as long as you don't mind the possibility of getting your photograph published in the dreaded Sea Angler!

You'll see the link in the meetings section with all the details, and if you can join us send Marcus and I a PM.

All the best.

Dave

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info!! that artical was rearlly good, going to try newport again next weekend if the surfs up, i have a place in mind where theres a rock in the sand and mabey 15-20 yards thers another rocky point and sand in the middle, but i suppose its all trial and error and actually getting out there my self and trying diffrent things!!

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Hopefully the surf beaches will improve this weekend, as low pressure moves in from the Atlantic giving SW-erlies at last. Although it's early in the year, the beaches have been fishing very poorly of late with the big area of high pressure stuck over the UK. I'm sure high-pressures don't do the surf-fishing any favours at all!

Main thing is not to overcast. You want your bait to fish in the advancing water-tables ashore of the actual breakers. Depending on the beach and the surf conditions, this can be over 100 yards or as little as 30, especially for the flatfish. Two rods fished at varying distances helps here.

Cast beyond the breakers and you'll more than likely see just dogfish - well that's how it is up here anyway! Good luck!

Cheers - John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts