World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
At this point in the cast, the lead is just about to go round the outside of the rod, and on its way. There is a fallacy that once the lead reaches this point in the cast, it will suddenly change direction and follow the rod tip. Rubbish of course, the lead is travelling fast in a horizontal plane, almost parallel to the ground, and to get the lead to change direction would need an additional application of energy to make it do this.
SO, the lead goes round outside the tip of the rod, and the pull-push so beloved of instructors has the same effect as swinging a conker on a string round your finger when you were a child...a gentle flick, timed exactly right, will produce an acceleration to your lead out of keeping with the effort applied.
The most interesting point here, is that the rod will still be bent at 90 degrees as the lead goes by the tip and on its way, with a multiplier it is the tip recovering under no load that accelerates the spool to full speed. Easily demonstrated, if you want to see I'll be at the NEC fri/sat/sun, hope to see some from WSF!!

philtherod

·
Registered
439 Posts
interesting post this, seen some of the big hitters pause just before they hit the lead, whats at nec this weekend then, I thought it was crufts this week.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I think that what Neil refers to as 'in front of the rod' is the same as what others call ' outside of the tip ' or outside the arc'.

It just means that the lead is running somewhere wider than the radius created by the rod tip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts