World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was in HLS yesterday, as i was perusing the shelves I noticed great big tubs of what I can only assume is bait that anglers of a certain persuasion use to amuse themselves with on a Saturday afternoon by a man made lake packed with great big green goldfish,
The bait in question was, I think called crab bites, or something similar, apparently it was made using only the finest crab flesh, (a bit of a waste in my mind, crab sarnies yes, fish bait no,) but i digress;

If this stuff is so "Crabby" would it work in the sea?

Ubd

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I was in HLS yesterday, as i was perusing the shelves I noticed great big tubs of what I can only assume is bait that anglers of a certain persuasion use to amuse themselves with on a Saturday afternoon by a man made lake packed with great big green goldfish,
The bait in question was, I think called crab bites, or something similar, apparently it was made using only the finest crab flesh, (a bit of a waste in my mind, crab sarnies yes, fish bait no,) but i digress;

If this stuff is so "Crabby" would it work in the sea?

Ubd
I'd be more than surprised if any boilies would work well in the sea (may be wrong though) the amount of "real" crab would be pretty low and bulked out with usual powders, if you taste one, i doubt it'll have a lot of crab taste to it and if it does it'll probably be highly "flavoured" with basically chemical flavourings.

One thing that comes to mind that might be worth a try is "Belachan" a concentrated shrimp paste, used a lot in chinese takeaways, can be bought in blocks for peanuts in asian supermarkets, stinks to high heaven and contains nothing other than shrimp, this "might" be able to be moulded onto a hook to stay on - come to think of it, i have 2 or 3 blocks somewhere in the shed, if it's still ok, i might give it a go sometime.

AL ..

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
"Belachan" a concentrated shrimp paste, used a lot in chinese takeaways, can be bought in blocks for peanuts in asian supermarkets, stinks to high heaven and contains nothing other than shrimp, this "might" be able to be moulded onto a hook to stay on - come to think of it, i have 2 or 3 blocks somewhere in the shed, if it's still ok, i might give it a go sometime.

AL ..
why not try it in a swim feeder type of set up ? it's the scent that's more important, and once they find that, they'll soon switch onto your bait !

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I was fishing next to a guy that was using it on a float :eek:. He caught zilch. Me too fishing mostly whole squid though and 5 slightly stale rag on the bottom.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts