1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi Banglemouse, thanks for putting that up.

Yes, this years annual event will be at Aldeburgh on Sunday 16th November.

It was our turn in Cambridgeshire to select the venue and without a beach of our own, I thought that the venue will allow good access and facilities throughout with a pretty even stretch of beach.

The match will be restricted to fishing between the Martello Tower at the Slaugden end of the roadway and the 'Shell' at the Thorpeness end of the town beach.

Full info on the event and rules etc is available at www.leader-lines.com and you can sign-up on line now.

We'd be immensely grateful if anyone wishes to donate prizes for the match or raffle and all proceeds this year will be going to the 'Teddy Charity' helping to raise funds for sick children. See this link:

http://www.teddycharity.co.uk/

If you have any other query, email me and I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
whats this a team match? are most matches team events etc, i'd like to fish comps this winter, so do I need to join a club or something? i'm more an individualist than a team player..

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Roller,

If it's the same as last year, you fish for your county and the best county wins, but there are individual prizes available for heaviest bag/fish etc.

Last year i fished for myself but signed up for Cambridgeshire and fished with mates from Suffolk and Norfolk, so it's not regimented at all.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If Anyone Wants Bait For That Match Please Gives Us A Call 07766083307. I Will Deliver To The Beach If There Is Enough To Bring Down. Or You Can Collect Directly, We Are About 15-20 Mins From The Venue.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The format is that you log on to www.leader-lines.com and register for the County of your choice or, if you don't mind which county you represent you register as a 'Floater' (no smutty comments! LOL!

It doesn't matter if we have widely different numbers registered for the different counties because the Floaters are used to even up the sides and only the top 6 returns from each county are counted for the team result

That is decided on total weight and is for bragging rights only although the winning team does lift the Inter-Counties Charity Shield which I donated and put on permanent loan to Leader=Lines for this event. That is then usually held by the Captain of the winning team or placed in the tackle shop of their choice until returned for the following year's match.

I provide 3 small engraved commemorative trophies for individuals and the winner will collect a small commemorative trophy and pick of the match pizes (plus the coin if he or she has entered the pools of course). This goes for the first 3 places and so on down the list until we run out of match prizes. Last year that went down to 25th place and in the past has sometimes been even more. The whole event relies heavily on the generosity of some fantastic sponsors.

I am also giving small trophies for the first 3 juniors, the best flatfish and best round fish winners.

There are optional pools on the day with 100% payout.

The match entry ticket costs £5.00 and this is all donated to the chosen charity. Last year we presented £1300 to the East Anglian Childrens Hospices and the previos year £1400 to Aldeburg RNLI.

There will also be a raffle on the day and prizes are always gratefully accepted. last year we had around 30 prizes for that too. With announcing the match results and calling the raffle prizes I think it took me an hour and a half to get through them all, but it's always the highlights of the year so far as we are concerned.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'll be in touch nearer the time for mine James.

·
Registered
960 Posts
whats this a team match? are most matches team events etc, i'd like to fish comps this winter, so do I need to join a club or something? i'm more an individualist than a team player..
just come along and fish for the county you live in, it`s not taken too serious and is a bloody good fun day out with a great bunch of blokes.
you WILL enjoy it trust me.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
LOL!

The last time he looked like anything like a 'heavenly body' his mum was sweating buckets and the Doctor had just slapped his ar*e Ped!!

His heart's in the right place though

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi james,john,and all.
Glad to see that this years match is at my favourite venue.I have just registered but its all down to whether i can get day off from work and a pink pass!.Looks as though i will be busy with a boat trip the week before.As they say practice makes perfect (my excuse to the wife!)
Roll on the winter!

compo

G

·
I've put my name down as I enjoyed last year.

My only concern is that the shell to the martello tower is not much room for the numbers of anglers that fish. You lose a fair bit of beach because of the fishermans boats.

Perhaps it could be extended towards the sluice or down past the tower.

I'll still fish it whatever the boundaries.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Hi Concrete,

Point noted and understood, but I'd say that it has to be remembered that this is not a highly competitive matchman's competition in the usual sense of the term.

The whole ethic is to have a lot of fun, whilst raising as much money as possible for those less fortunate than ourselves.

The ICCM is a 'fish with your mate' rover, and as a result virtually the whole length becomes 'double pegs' with many anglers fishing much closer together than is the norm. over the past 5 years we have found that means that you get around 25% more people in the same length as a conventionally pegged event.

I'm happy to extend towards Thorpeness if it becomes necessary on the day, but we will not be going south of the Martello as the venue becomes an entirely different beach down there and the aim is to make the choice as much of a leveller as possible.

This will be the first time it has been held at Aldeburgh and I suggested the venue purely because it is so even along the town stretch.

G

·
Hi Concrete,

Point noted and understood, but I'd say that it has to be remembered that this is not a highly competitive matchman's competition in the usual sense of the term.

The whole ethic is to have a lot of fun, whilst raising as much money as possible for those less fortunate than ourselves.

The ICCM is a 'fish with your mate' rover, and as a result virtually the whole length becomes 'double pegs' with many anglers fishing much closer together than is the norm. over the past 5 years we have found that means that you get around 25% more people in the same length as a conventionally pegged event.

I'm happy to extend towards Thorpeness if it becomes necessary on the day, but we will not be going south of the Martello as the venue becomes an entirely different beach down there and the aim is to make the choice as much of a leveller as possible.

This will be the first time it has been held at Aldeburgh and I suggested the venue purely because it is so even along the town stretch.
I quite agree that extending towards Thorpeness would be fairer as the beach fishes much the same all the way along in that direction.
As for not being a serious match, again I agree, but it won't be enjoyable if alot of people turn up and everyone is crammed in and you get lots of crossed lines, this always leads to bad feeling whether it is a friendly or not.

P.S. I mentioned the comp at our club meeting tonight, so hopefully a few more from Essex will now sign up. I also mentioned it would be nice if they donated a prize as well as fishing.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I quite agree that extending towards Thorpeness would be fairer as the beach fishes much the same all the way along in that direction.
As for not being a serious match, again I agree, but it won't be enjoyable if alot of people turn up and everyone is crammed in and you get lots of crossed lines, this always leads to bad feeling whether it is a friendly or not.

P.S. I mentioned the comp at our club meeting tonight, so hopefully a few more from Essex will now sign up. I also mentioned it would be nice if they donated a prize as well as fishing.
Thanks for that, the first 2 years we fished this event Steve Coppolo captained and organised a fairly healthy turn out from the Essex end. I noted a few new faces last year, but numbers from that end of the region have generally been low since 2005 when Steve unfortunately found that he couldn't commit the time needed. The organising group includes the permanent members plus all county team captains and I'm sure that you'll all appreciate there's a hell of a lot more to do than just have a say on an internet forum.

I guess some might say the lower numbers are because of the travelling, but I don't really think that's an issue because the first 4 years saw the event at Dunwich, which is pretty central for everyone and a very large number travel from a long way inland such as us from Cambridgeshire and people from as far afield as Bedford & Nottingham too. Last year was the first year it had been fished in Norfolk and that's because it was their turn to vote for venue.

It's Essex's turn to vote on www.Leader-Lines.com for the choice of venue for next year so perhaps there is an added incentive to get involved this time around.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts