World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a few of these shellfish today, massive ones about 4" round and 2" thick. Does anyone know what they're like for eating? Seems a shame to just use them for bait.

Bill

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, you used the plural in your search. Wouldnt have thought that it would make such a difference, but it did. Maybe I should have used the singular in the title.

Have found these shells all round the coast, but never had the live ones before, so was very surprised to find 4 of them within 2 metres of each other.

Bill

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just realised we had a cooking your catch forum. Must try to be more observant in future. Can one of our kindly moderators move this over to that more appropriate forum please?

Bill

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Ah, you used the plural in your search. Wouldnt have thought that it would make such a difference, but it did. Maybe I should have used the singular in the title.

Have found these shells all round the coast, but never had the live ones before, so was very surprised to find 4 of them within 2 metres of each other.

Bill
me just being lazy cutnpaste
seen those shells myself or at least ones very similar never full though

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Are they "Iceland" as in from the country or the shop? (not trying to be funny by the way :) ).

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
aye, only 14,400 results on Google. They're clam-like creatures, typical bi-valve molluscs, see them here http://www.seawater.no/fauna/Blotdyr/kuskjell.htm

Bill
I have bought these - well look the same - in Morrisons.
Although sold for human consumption quite a few were dead and starting to dry out.
Seen similar live ones in the Glasgow chinese supermarket.
Used them as bait - work OK but usually in cocktail baits.
I have eaten plenty of shellfish but these appeared too gritty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts