World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the approximate weight of this boat? It has a 90Hp Tohatsu outbord.
I am going to look at one tomorrow, and have been told that the trailer is not up to much and would like to price a replacement before I commit myself.
The asking price is around the 4k mark.
I could keep her on a mooring and just use the existing trailer in the yard, or buy decent trailer, what do you think?
Also what advice, as to trailer type, can any owners give me.
Are there any problems with Icelander 18's that I should look out for? I read the post ref delamination of the transom.

Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
hello deep blue not sure of the exact weight of the outfit quoted but I would guess in the region of 900kg plus, you'll defo need 4 wheel braked trailer.
very good sea boats I posted re delamination gel coat can crack would expect this on this age of boat most must be over 24 yrs old, but overall a very solid and seaworthy boat would expect high 20's posibbly low30knts with the 90 high freeboard hence good for fishing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ronw,
Thanks for that, I was thinking around 1000kg myself, so I was on the right side.
Its surprising how many of these I have seen on single axel trailers, I would have expected a boat of this size and weight to have been on twin axels. I wonder what the legal / insurance view is?
I agree with what you say about age / condition, wish I was still in the condition I was 20+ years ago, its just a question of balancing what your getting for what your paying, I certainly cant afford to go out and get a new 18 ft boat, so its all down to compromise.
Thanks again

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a single axle with the boat but becuase of the weght distribution there quite nose heavy although adjusted trailer a number of times was never happy with it went to double axel which improved things no end.
there pretty easy to work on no double floors etc even ifthere are problems.

G

·
Hi,
I have one with an inboard and when the engine was removed and it just had the drive it weighed 1100kgs. that was an empty boat too.

If I was you I would not go for a single axle trailer unless it was a big one as the boat is a big lump. I personally would not entertain a trailer under 1500kgs as when loaded with all the gumph you need it will be getting there.

Good sea boats, drive nice in a rough sea (hull shape), strong build, stronger than most, and plenty of fishing room. Not the finest 18 footer but in its day it must have been one of the best.

A 90 should give you near 30knots if not more as mentioned above.

For the money of 4k it is a reasonable deal for what you get if it is in good nick.

And if you aint had a boat of this type before then you should be pleasantly suprised.

All in all should be a good buy, for the price anyway.

As for delam, I think as mentioned it is not a Icelander issue and more of a boats age, having said that they are heavily built and it not as serious as having delam on say a 16ft dinghy - should be safer when repaired.

Mine is fitted with an diesel inboard now and pulling over 30knots, however it is weighing upwards of 1600kgs when loaded.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your input.
The boat I looked at yesterday was a pile of poop! so I am still looking.
What in your opinions do you think is a reasonable price for an Icelander with descent engine and trailer? The ones I have found at the moment vary from £4k to £6.5k.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i think it largley depends on the engine/trailer fitted ie how new, condition as i say these boats will all be at least 23 yrs old so wont demand high prices on their own also because many were sold as bare boat fit out varys tremendously would not pay more than 5k though.
make sure hp is over 70 though as the boat defo needs this. agree with popajoe they really are good boats for what they are.

G

·
Thanks for all your input.
The boat I looked at yesterday was a pile of poop! so I am still looking.
What in your opinions do you think is a reasonable price for an Icelander with descent engine and trailer? The ones I have found at the moment vary from £4k to £6.5k.
Hi Deep blue,

The range you mention seems to be what they go for with an O/B, as Ron says - its more important to get a good boat for whatever money as they are getting old and 6.5k would have to be one of the best in my opinion with an outboard and again you will need at least 60/70hp to make it worthwhile.

Just be sure the boat is not tarted up and you can be sure of what you are getting, IE you can see through the "tart up".

If theres one around here (I've seen 2 ads in wales recently) you are interested in let me know and I will look at it for you if you like.

I still say a good one is worth its money, even if they are getting on a bit.

All the best with your search.

G

·
Trailers:

Most manufacturers build trailers that will take up to about 1400Kg carrying capacity on good single axle styles.

For example, Bramber, RM, SBS all produce these trailers.

When calculating weight, always work conservatively. Add the light boat weight, engine weight, fuel weight, plus a generous estimate for all the rest of the junk we all carry.
Once all that is done, leave further margin for error to make sure that your load is well within the limits of both your trailer and towing vehicle.

Single axles can be easily adjusted to offer the right amount of load at the tow hitch. Single axles are much easier to handle when manouvering, however twin axles are better for long runs and tend to feel that little bit more substantial when towing.

Finally make sure your car can easily handle the load.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Lads,

http://wales.boatshed.com/icelander-boat-17222.html

That was the one I looked at last week.
The trailer is only fit for yard use, the boat itself is tatty. It has been out of the water for 2 years. I dread to think what the condition of the outboard is after 2 years in a boat yard open to the elements?
If Poppajoe is right and the starting price was 9k the owner is in a dream world.
I am waiting to hear back from one in North Wales with a 90hp Mercury 4 stroke (2000) and a 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke (2001), this one looks much better.
Thanks to Fisher69 for pointing me to one in Hartlepool too, that looks pretty good at 4k, its just a long trip to view it, and possibly have to sort problems out, before towing it home.
I am sure more will come up, or maybe something else similar, or even better will take my fancy.
Thanks again:clap3:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts