World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

One for Mr Holt I think :)

My bream ID's are not brilliant when it comes to fish other than black or gilts!

Caught this on Monday, mid-channel aboard Silver Spray. Is it a pandora's or a red sea bream? Google results provide conflicting evindence, and perhaps are the same?

My thinking is - pandora's?

Either way it's a new species for me!

Cheers

Dan

15,082 Posts
I disagree Ron. Here is a pic of a Couches Bream

I think it is a Red Bream
You could be right.I just had a look at a Couchs Bream though in an edition of SAN and it never looked as red as the one in your pic.The head on your one though is right looking at it for a Red Bream.
Im sure Davy Holt will be along soon!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, ruled out couches.

like I mentioned in my previous post - google (images) seems to suggest it's a pandora's too (seem to be identical fish. And another thing.....i keep remembering the Henry Gilbey programme on rock fishing the channel islands where Henry lands a 'red bream' and that didn't look at all like the ones we had on Monday?!

Aquarium project point towards, red sea bream too, but I'm far from convinced! lol

Sure to stir things up with this one!?!?!?

Dan

15,082 Posts
yeah, ruled out couches.

like I mentioned in my previous post - google (images) seems to suggest it's a pandora's too (seem to be identical fish. And another thing.....i keep remembering the Henry Gilbey programme on rock fishing the channel islands where Henry lands a 'red bream' and that didn't look at all like the ones we had on Monday?!

Aquarium project point towards, red sea bream too, but I'm far from convinced! lol

Sure to stir things up with this one!?!?!?

Dan
The only Pandora I know is one called Terry who go's out on a Friday...
Back on Topic.It is a Bream.

G

·
I could not find a good picture of a Pandoras Bream but the eyes on a Couches are to far away from its mouth for it to be one of them.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
whatever it is , i bet it will taste stunning stuffed with lemon and pepper and whacked on the barbi :):):)

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
This fish is a Red Bream (Pagellus bogaraveo). The dark spot on the shoulder is a the telltale diagnostic feature.
Incidently, the fish that Henry caught in his programme was a Couches Bream (Sparus pagrus), despite what his mate said:
"It's a red bream, trust me I know."

In this instance he didn't know.

Henry even pointed out the pale tips on the tail, which is a good diagnostic feature for Couches Bream.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what threw me, ...... seeing the fish on Henry Gilbey's programme, and Martin Larkins (I think?) saying that it was 100% a red bream, and that he knew the difference!

Just out of interest though - does anyone have a picture of a pandora bream? Only to lay my mind to rest! :thumbs:

Google Images has also confused me!! Darn bream!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
They are meant to be making a bit of a comeback after disapearing for thirty odd years,i caught one of the palace pier years ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts