Freeloader
6,660 Posts
:clap3: well done mr sultzer :clap3:
btw i copied them pics
i assume it was caught at dundee cos of the moss on wall

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Have caught a lot of eelpout from B/island on worm + mussels. Have not caught them anywhere else though.
they are a paler colour than the butterfish, but i suppose it depends on the environment from where they are caught.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would say that this is a blenny species for certain. Its not a butterfish as it does not have the right mouth shape or characteristic black dots on it . I also dont think it is a shanny either cos the head seems a different shape. could be a viviperous blenny...caught a monster one of these down a t N Berwick last winter that had I have weighed, would maybe have pushed record size....it went back though
Well done on the capture, and an interesting thread

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think it may be a butterfly blenny. I have cayght quite a few species of blenny, often by accident on small worm baits when after flatties near broken ground. You also find alot of them when looking aroung rocks and lifting seaweed for peelers. I have read that they are a good live bait for Bass? I can imagine they could be used for float fishing.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Definatley another one for the species count though. I use the different species of wrasse, blenny and other mini species to push my specie count up. Sometimes the identifaction can cause arguments in some specie hunt matches though when points are awarded for percentage of specimen size.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts