World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being weeded out on the North Coast with Skeletor on Friday night and the weather putting paid to any chance of getting out with Aaron over the weekend I was desperate to get out.

I had 10 prime peeler hanging out and a lb of lug left from Friday so decided to get up stupid o'clock this morning and head for my favourite Wrasse spot - I knew I could guarantee fish!!

Got there are 0530 and set up the Bass rod with a float to begin with and dangled the peeler over the kelp. Got snagged up twice, breaking at the leader both times - bugger.

Watched one float shoot under and disappear at a rate of knots down the gully - wishing I was still connected to it! LOL:cc_surren

Set up a short paternoster rig and after several rattles I managed to actually connect to something. Fish on!

Thought to begin with I was into a smallish wrasse, but it wasn't heading for cover. Turned out to be this cheeky Bass. Stole the bait from under the Wrasse's nose! He obviously hadn't read the rule of wrassing!

I was soon into the wrasse, with the first of note around the 1.5lb mark. Then hit a 2lb 13oz.

Getting bigger. Missed loads of great bites and was soon out of peeler. Switched to Lug and had the best of the session in the first cast.

4lb 4oz. Strange - went out hoping to beat my PB so felt a little disappointed.

Then reflected on what was actually a great session. Wrasse seem to be the only thing I can actually catch consistently well! I love 'em on the light gear!

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Well done Gary. Great report mate. I absolutely love ballans. Some people call em vermin (don't you BM) but I can catch em so they're fine in my book. :fishing1: Gets the heart racing.

Great pics by the way.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
After being weeded out on the North Coast with Skeletor on Friday night and the weather putting paid to any chance of getting out with Aaron over the weekend I was desperate to get out.

I had 10 prime peeler hanging out and a lb of lug left from Friday so decided to get up stupid o'clock this morning and head for my favourite Wrasse spot - I knew I could guarantee fish!!

Got there are 0530 and set up the Bass rod with a float to begin with and dangled the peeler over the kelp. Got snagged up twice, breaking at the leader both times - bugger.

Watched one float shoot under and disappear at a rate of knots down the gully - wishing I was still connected to it! LOL:cc_surren

Set up a short paternoster rig and after several rattles I managed to actually connect to something. Fish on!

Thought to begin with I was into a smallish wrasse, but it wasn't heading for cover. Turned out to be this cheeky Bass. Stole the bait from under the Wrasse's nose! He obviously hadn't read the rule of wrassing!
I was soon into the wrasse, with the first of note around the 1.5lb mark. Then hit a 2lb 13oz.

Getting bigger. Missed loads of great bites and was soon out of peeler. Switched to Lug and had the best of the session in the first cast.

4lb 4oz. Strange - went out hoping to beat my PB so felt a little disappointed.

Then reflected on what was actually a great session. Wrasse seem to be the only thing I can actually catch consistently well! I love 'em on the light gear!
Lovely sess there gary,i think your pb will come when you least expect it,Aj.:fishing1:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
well done Gary, great little session m8! Sorry about the poor trip on Friday, hopefully next time will be better, never known it that bad before!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Nice wrasse m8.well done. cheers marty.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well done thats a nice fish..Its made me realise that I haven't had a wrasse this year gonna try and change that 2mor

·
Registered
199 Posts
Its really depressing me too. Being fairly new to sea fishing im like a little kid dieing to get out there. But the weathers ruining everything, sunny when im in work then pishing it down!!!!!!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
24,922 Posts
Nice sesh there mate! Would love to have some wrasse in an aquarium really pretty colours!:clap:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well done Gary, great little session m8! Sorry about the poor trip on Friday, hopefully next time will be better, never known it that bad before!
No worries Mart - as far as I know you aren't in control of the weather or weed!!

Have to try again another time!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice sesh there mate! Would love to have some wrasse in an aquarium really pretty colours!:clap:
I love 'em.

Every one of them is different. The best sight is the curled lips when you have caught a good one - bright blue and white!

Now that you mention it, I have not seen any in aquariums. I wonder why?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice sesh gar, glad u got out. i went stur crazy at home watchin the rain when we should have been sharkin.
Had to get out!!

Good call not going though, there was a fair chop out there - would certainly have been lumpy!!

Hope we get a decent break in the weather to get out again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts