World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i wanted a conger in fife where do you reckon my bets chance of getting on is?
I think the North Q.Ferry looks good at the battery and the rough ground around anstruther peirs but do any of these venues produce in numbers?
Am i right in thinking that they are nocturnal feeders and what is the best time to catch them?
As for bait i would be using a macky flapper/head with a 4/0 hook and i wire trace using a rotten bottom.I'm not after a specimen just something for the species hunt :D
All info will be greatly appreciated :D
Mickeythemackeral :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Not sue on the area mickey, bu I'd go with a minimum of a 6'0 strong hook.
heavy mono is more suitable than wire for eels and a mackerel fillet/squid cocktail is very hard to beat bait wise. I've heard of a lot of eels showing arounf the rough ground at anstruther - I'm sure someone from the kingdom will be able to offer more help!

D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi Mickey, over the years Ive had the odd small Conger from the Battery at NQF, biggest was about 4lb. You would prolly be better over fishing Port Edgar breakwater for them. I have heard of decent Conger taken from there some time ago.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Not my favorite species, in fact they scare the pants off me ! LOL But they are very cagey fish that dont like resitance on a rig, thus a running rig is preferable.

Plumb the depth of any congery looking mark, if you find a hole or gully you find a lair where the larger ones lurk, Oh and dont forget to carry tools that can cope with unhooking, holding and lifting an angry conger.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i always set the hook after the first run stops thats when the conger turns the deadbait and swallows i have been wrong sometimes though and it gets swallowed i try to use mono and forged hooks so when that happens i dont need to act the surgeon risking maiming the fish

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Has anyone had any good / bad experiences using barbless hooks for conger?

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi mickey i got a conger from granton bw 2 weeks ago the good thing about it is i never even caught it on rod and line i got it in one of my lobster pots it weighed just under 29lb well so the guys on the pier said anyway ...but if they are as big as that then their must be even bigger ones over at the battery cos as far as i no its got some big deep holes there ..also iv spoke to folk and they have also mentioned port edgar for them just take a circuit round the 3 of them and try your luck......

hope you get something m8...

·
Registered
55 Posts
heard of anstruther mentioned before for conger, also inner most part of methil docks - the almost land locked part. all word of mouth, never seen any produced, did have an eel a good 2lb inside anstruther, all piers are likely worth a try, older the better, more holes for them to hide. shelter offered by harbours and deep water with little current are where to find them as they feed on scent so when the tide goes slack its easier for them to follow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts