World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im heading to Ilfracombe tomorrow on very short notice and I'm obviously taking the rods. I didn't realise it was such a rocky area and I have no idea of any marks other than the pier. I will have the beach casters looking to fish big baits out there for the very off chance there may be a cod around this winter lol.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcQdVfvUgqem_1Ie5cwv3Zw

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Pop into the tackle shop in Ilfracombe ask for info in there. There are a few decent rock marks around there, some are very dangerous (slippery) so a bit of local knowledge would assist you. I'm not too up to speed with Ilfracombe sorry. Keep up doing the vids:cool:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the reply barnacle, I ended up fishing the pier as I was with three friends of mine, two of which have never fished and I wanted to make sure something was caught to keep them interested. Not that the pier is a guaranteed mark, but fishing in an easy spot and blanking doesn't feel half as bad as fishing in a tough spot and blanking lol. We ended up with whiting, pouting and a strap conger. The best fish (a tidy sized whiting) fell to my friend who had never fished, he also had pouting, so he was happy.

Over all it was a really nice really comfortable session. We met a local bloke there who was kind enough to donate some elastic to me and the use of his knife.

Cheers,

Fishing Brothers

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I literally took the bare bones in gear as there was four of us in a ford fiesta. I took a cascade rig with two 1.0's a running ledger with 1.0's and two dropper rigs with 4.0's all in a quality street tin lol. I was the only one fishing at distance, everyone else was fishing within 40 yards maybe 50 tops. I gave my friends the smaller hooked rigs as I knew they would have a better chance of getting a fish. I didn't catch anything at range until my friend had had enough and I put the cascade rig he was using on mine. I managed a whiting. We was fishing off the steps at the end of the pier facing out to the channel. All the locals where fishing either to the right hand side of the pier or just as it opens out to the channel at around 40/50 yards. One lad had a dap. Other than that it was just pouting and small whiting for everyone apart from the decent one my friend had.

We seemed to be having the most luck and we was the only ones using rag worm, sometimes tipped with squid. Everyone else was using mackerel.

cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was down their Friday just as I turned up someone landed a 5lb bass that was while reeling in a fish head right below the pier he was fishing for Conger!
I had a small whiting me mate had a couple whiting then got himself a 2lb COD very quiet night but nice to see a cod

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi guys,
Thought I'd add a few suggestions for decent marks around Ilfracombe.

1/. The rocks at the back of Capstone Hill, slippery b*ggers, but worth the climb, as long as you can avoid the crab/lobster pots & float lines which seem to be moving more & more inshore. Pollack, dogs, Ballans, & makkies in the summer. Worm, crab or lures go well here.

2/. Again, around the back of Capstone, try Cheyne beach, a bit of a steep climb down the steps, but I've had some decent pollack, dogs & makkies from there. Worm & crab baits seem to score best.

3/. Forget the pier & go the other side of the bay & try Raparee beach, hardly ever a soul there unless it's high summer, easy access, nearby parking & you are bang on the area where the pier boys are aiming for. OK, you aren't going to set the world alight with what you catch from Rap, but it's a lot less crowded than the pier. Anything you fancy for bait, but squid, worm, crab or makkie strip works well.

4/. Have a word with the nice people at Tunnels Beaches (handy that I've got a relative who works there!) & head for the old 'Gentlemens Pool' , you'll have a rock & concrete sea wall to fish from at every time apart from absolute high tide. I've had halfway decent conger, wrasse, dogs, pollock & good bass from here.

5/. OK, not strictly Combe, but Hele Bay is worth a go. It's only a short distance from the town, parking is easy, access is good, & I've had decent pollock, bass & rays from the beach. Doggies can be a pain, but it pays to persist. Either worm /fish/crab baits or well worth a go with lures.

6/. Finally, Lee Bay. OK, a couple of miles from Combe, but worth the trip. Easy access, good parking, & it tends not to attract too many on the beach itself. Folk tend to hang around the village (v.pretty in summer) & the Grampus pub serves a rather marvellous selection of local ales & ciders (got it's own micro brewery!!) Anyway, fishing, go over the rock pools & you'll have easy access to the surf. Worm, crab & fish baits all score, & lure fishing in the summer. Tons of doggies, wrasse, the odd conger, & you are always in with a shout of a rare cod in the winter months.

Anyway, good luck & happy fishing
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
798 Posts
West country man.....I discovered hele bay the other day....any marks, left or right or tides to fish this?? Also same with Lee, I go there alot but have never fished it, any tide or side of the beach to fish there?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers country man, cracking information, shame it didn't come a few weeks back, but at least I know for next time. We actually had a caravan right on Hele Bay, and we did see two blokes fish it that morning.

I think the pier was the best option to accommodate my mates in the end anyway.

I think I'll try the back of Capstone Hill next time I'm there.

Tight Lines!
Fishing Brothers

·
Registered
88 Posts
West country man.....I discovered hele bay the other day....any marks, left or right or tides to fish this?? Also same with Lee, I go there alot but have never fished it, any tide or side of the beach to fish there?
Hi Jonny,

I tend to stick to the right hand side of the beach, out on the rocks below the caravan / chalets. There's a deep water channel which runs out from the beach heading North north east. It's clean ground there with a sandy base, so fingers crossed that tackle losses are minimal. Just keep an eye on the tide rising to make sure your exit route isn't compromised, just take a note of the height of the high tide mark. This is the Bristol channel coast, so the tide variation is massive!

I have seen guys fishing the left hand side of the bay, but I've never tried it. Keep the rigs simple, either a pulley pennel clipped rig, or a two/three hook flapper. You don't need heavyweight tackle as you don't have to cast to the horizon & I've never taken anything big enough to truly test my gear (that's not saying that there may be a big old conger about). I always fish 90 minutes either side of high water, as that gives you a nice, fairly short session. The old maxim about fishing during hours of darkness seem to be the most productive, but it has offered up the odd decent bass to lures during the day.

Lee bay is also a quite straightforward location. You've got a clear ground channel running out left to right with a sandy bottom, it heads out toward Broadoar bay to the East of Lee. There's a lot more rock at Lee, so go steady , I've always tended to lose a few terminal rigs into the rock gullies. I tend to pin a bait down with a decent amount of weight. Again, simple rigs, or a great way to spend a summer's evening is punching a lure out from the rocks. Hard or soft lures have worked in the past. It's relatively easy going underfoot, as there's a concrete pathway running alongside the stream.

With Lee being a bit off the beaten track, you don't tend to get too many on the beach, but stay on until dark & it will hopefully offer up results. If you do blank, don't worry about it, take a short walk up to the Grampus & treat yourself to a pint of Wizard Ale's Lundy Gold or Celt Native Storm, either is a very good way to improve on a rubbish session.Good luck.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
798 Posts
Bloody brilliant info west country man...I love these beaches so u just given them a new lease of life! The cider in that pub is great too!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Cheers country man, cracking information, shame it didn't come a few weeks back, but at least I know for next time. We actually had a caravan right on Hele Bay, and we did see two blokes fish it that morning.

I think the pier was the best option to accommodate my mates in the end anyway.

I think I'll try the back of Capstone Hill next time I'm there.

Tight Lines!
Fishing Brothers

Hi Owain,
If you do fancy trying the Capstone mark, approach the hill from the town, you can't miss it, it's the enormous green thing! ;-) At the Landmark Theatre end, go past Preacher's Rock on the left overlooking Wildersmouth Beach ( grey shale pebbles & dog muck!) & follow the footpath to Windy Corner (it's a corner & it's always bl00dy windy!) & look out for the access steps down to the rocks.
I always swing around to the right & fish from the rocks, you are into deep water immediately, but look out for the floats for the lobster/crab pots. They've gradually encroached in towards the coast in recent years & are a bit of a pain with tangles.
If you do connect with anything, immediately bully it away from the pot lines, if you don't, you'll lose it & all of your terminal tackle.
Everything I've ever taken from Capstone has fought like mad, & those fish know which rocks are sharp, & exactly where they can smash you!
If you use this mark in the height of summer, you'll get squeezed out by visitors (grockles) some of whom can tend to be quite aggressive, as I've had a few run ins over the years. so good luck.
Cheers
Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts