World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went down the pier on thursday night with a mate, had 13 doggies altogether and lost a nice fish of the end with whole squid, at about 3.40 am.
massive bite though wasnt impressed when the line went slack after a load of tugging and pumping(how wrong does that sound lol) any ideas anyone?, the fish was going absolutely berserk.
also took the new prawn trap down , which impressively caught me a nice sized lobster and 8 prawns which i had for brekkie on friday :) very nice.
took 4 of the doggies to actually try them and what can i say , if you cook them right they taste pretty good imho with chips and salad:)
cheers

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
nice session df..what trap did you use? one of those collapsable ones?.lobster thermador for breakfast.nice.

doggies are very nice to eat its just a mission peeling them.good thing is no bones as such.

ps..dont forget that penn rod is in my garage for you to collect if you need it?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh that would be sweet will drop u a pm when im passin by mate.
i boiled the doggies after top and tailin them for a minute and the skin comes of ok, i used the trap from brian fords (3.99) so pleased with the lobster though, nice with marie rose sauce on bed of lettuce and prawn:)
i love the fact there are no bones in the doggies though.
cheers

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
went slack after a load of tugging and pumping:)
cheers
It happens to the best of us. mate. Gotta sleep sometimes. :)

Nice report. Useful post, actually.

Was saying to the Pauls just yesterday that we're lucky with doggies up here — rarely a real scourge, often just a few a night breaks the monotony and 2lb+ are common.

And I's gonna get me one o they nets ... I'd pay 4 quid for the one lobster alone!
I don't take many fish :)unsure: though I am under 'pressure from above' to put something on the table, and soon, if I want my generous fishing-time allowance to continue ...) but a lobster wouldn't stand a chance, however hard he thought he looked!

Maybe the next gut-hooked doggie I get will go in the pot ... cheers for the boiling tip!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
my dad likes dogfish and conger :yucky: i found the easiest way to prep a doggie is to simply bour boiling water from a kettle over them, holding the tail, the skin then just melts off leaving the flesh, then just wrap it in foil with a bit of lemon juice :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happens to the best of us. mate. Gotta sleep sometimes. :)

Nice report. Useful post, actually.

Was saying to the Pauls just yesterday that we're lucky with doggies up here — rarely a real scourge, often just a few a night breaks the monotony and 2lb+ are common.

And I's gonna get me one o they nets ... I'd pay 4 quid for the one lobster alone!
I don't take many fish :)unsure: though I am under 'pressure from above' to put something on the table, and soon, if I want my generous fishing-time allowance to continue ...) but a lobster wouldn't stand a chance, however hard he thought he looked!

Maybe the next gut-hooked doggie I get will go in the pot ... cheers for the boiling tip!
yeh ill show u the best snag free spot next time i see u down there lol(cud b very long)
it reli was a nice evening as well.
sorry forgot to mention all the doggies wer caught on squid and mackie(although the women in kingfisher told me) quote "ive heard, nothing has been caught on squid at all for ages"
yer right lol
had a small conger in the trap as well, which is bludy hard to get out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice report!

Hopefully some fish will still be around when I come down next week!.....

Out of interest, what bait did you use in you traps?

Thanks,

darkstar

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i used the head and guts of the mackie i was using for main bait and 2 whole squid.
:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts