World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Ilfracombe yesterday, not on the actual pier but from the rocks in front, (where you step over the wall and climb down a bit) was joined by a guy from bristol (didnt get his name but was really friednly and a good guy to fish with), about an hour and a doggie into the seesion.
I was fishing mackerel and ended up with a total of 4 doggies, the guy from Bristol next to me was mostly fishing lug/rag tipped with squid and was getting a lot of small knocks one of which produced a small conger about 2-3lb and another produced a small codling about 1.5lb both fish went back.

Weather was awfull but dried out in the afternoon.

Seemed to go very quiet at the slack period around high tide with all fish and bites coming during the movement of the water up and down the channel.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Well , at least you didn't blank , mate !:clap3:

I was down there early on in the morning , but had no luck - only a good soaking.:blink:

Will be going for a session on Wednesday evening , straight from work ; there from about 5 pm 'til about 9 ish.

Still hoping for the ' biggun ' !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I blanked yesterday evening, so did everyone else I spoke to shall be visiting the pier from work today. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
try a two hook flapper with big chunks of mackie for the doggies if everyone is blanking their usually a good bet.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
We had a session last night . No Doggies !
I had 5 Poor Cod , a Coley and a Pollack ; I also had 3 crabs !
Missed the best fish of the night - wrestled it to about 6 foot below the surface and it then dropped off , must have been hanging onto the Macky and not hooked ! Don't know what it was but it was putting up a fight and felt heavier than anything else I' ve ever caught.:doh:
Poor old Williman blanked , again !!:g:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
We had a session last night . No Doggies !
I had 5 Poor Cod , a Coley and a Pollack ; I laso had 3 crabs !
Missed the best fish of the night - wrestled it to about 6 foot below the surface and it then dropped off , must have been hanging onto the Macky and not hooked ! Don't know what it was but it was putting up a fight and felt heavier than anything else I' ve ever caught.:doh:
Poor old Williman blanked , again !!:g:
bull huss have a real habit of doing just that slippy

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Difficult to say with any accuracy , but it felt about 5lb or so and was giving a real fight.
Are Bull Huss around in the Pier area?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Difficult to say with any accuracy , but it felt about 5lb or so and was giving a real fight.
Are Bull Huss around in the Pier area?
anywhere there is rough ground mate where you find conger you find huss, the reason they often let go is they have a horizontal flap in the back of their mouth they often take the bait behind this when they open the flap they release theirselfs and usually empty the contents of their stomachs last year wilky had one about 12lb it hooped up a strap conger of 2lb mucky bugger

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have heard in the past of huss from the pier, pretty sure lee(donkeydawe) has had 1.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i have heard in the past of huss from the pier, pretty sure lee(donkeydawe) has had 1.
had several upto 4 1/2 lb.. some tourist was trying to tell me he had a 35lb'er last week till i pointed out he had easily smashed the 19lb british record and was he any good at estimating weights!

thought maybe if it was genuine it may have been a tope but he was adamant it was a huss

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
lol sounds like a wind up to me, probably a conger lol:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts