1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Good to see environmental crime is still being taken seriously.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Would be even better if they could stop the thousands of litres of slurry that accidentally escapes into the Teifi:rolleyes:
True but fisheries, and pollution control are two separate departments.
Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Fixed it....just for you x
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you can’t reflect the discrete functional differences across NRW departments when commenting on a fishing forum we’re one step away from anarchy. You hear me? ANARCHY.
To be fair the lines are lot more blurred than they used to be.....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Next step is for them to realise there are other fish to be protected from illegal fishing not just salmon and trout.
In fairness they have improved since the days of holding coarse matches on the Usk to remove dace to different rivers (when in reality they were digging trenches and burying them. (matches didnt last long after that))

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Next step is for them to realise there are other fish to be protected from illegal fishing not just salmon and trout.
In fairness they have improved since the days of holding coarse matches on the Usk to remove dace to different rivers (when in reality they were digging trenches and burying them. (matches didnt last long after that))
Not true...

The then NRA and before that Welsh water fisheries DID move them to other rivers. It was "THE FISHERY OWNERS" who burried them.. FACT!!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Credit where it’s due, The police and NRW were quick to react to the above incident on a Caerphilly club stretch of the Rhymney last week.
My mate plus a few bailiffs approached the four men and were threatened with a knife, air rifle and had stones thrown at them.
If you see anyone like that on any fishery don’t do the natural thing and approach them, step back and head somewhere safe and make a few calls.
NRW would much rather catch people red handed than have to make a case with reports or evidence later on. Or that’s what they told me when we spoke to them about poaching on the upper Taff a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
As an ex Fisheries Inspector ( Water Bailiff NRW, EA, NRA, Welsh water ) I can only echo Phil's advice.
Caught in the act by officials is a lot easier to prosecute than via witness statements.
Its hard not to react to what you see being done but in this modern world of VIOLENT criminals nothing is worth being stabbed or worse. Leave it to the guys with the kit and resources to deal with it .....
And before anyone says, IF YOU CAN GET THEM TO TURN UP.... NRW's Fisheries has been slashed to the bone, yet here is a story of how they are still striving to DO THE JOB. If you think our rivers lakes and ponds deserve greater protection ( I certainly do ) then lobby your local MP please.

Reactions: garwed and philjehu

·
Registered
661 Posts
It's great that the authorities are doing something about it but while I was legally bass fishing there this morning I got accosted by an elderly couple ranting at me about illegal fishing, quoting the raids and telling me I was breaking the law. Ruined a lovely morning lol.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Looks like the trout farm has been flooded again at the draethen. Used to be some big roach on the bend, I also remember Sean Wilson did a 100lb of chub above the bridge

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I am sure the water authority were there when it happened that's why a lot of the usuals stopped fishing the matches myself included.
I was also there when they netted the moat and took out over 100 pike all under 5lb. A lot of them were knocked over the head as well. Some went to pontsticill and some when to Rhymney Reservoir. I remember it well as we had one of the top honchos there showing some Nigerian university students in Cardiff studying fisheries management. He was telling them the best way in unhooking a spinner from an 8lb pikes mouth with a hankie (somebody had snapped off playing him). Needless to say he left shortly after for hospital to have stitches in his hand. It still brings a smile to my face now

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
Sorry @loadsa but I think your memory is a bit tainted. Yes I was there as well when we netted the moat. NRA took the "LIVE" pike and relocated them. It was THE CLUB. who killed the others. Which as the owners was thier choice. No law to stop any owner killing thier own fish. No legal way of stopping them.
As for the "Top honcho" I personally don't recall the incident you discribe but it wouldn't have surprised me. We had a few white collar bosses ( or should I say numpties.) who didn't have a clue.

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
As for the Usk dace. I was a member of Newport AA in those distant days and every year had a "dace ticket" to fish the river. I also fished the lower Usk championships on three occasions.
As said previously. In was the owners who killed the fish not the Welsh Water Authority Bailiffs who would have been there primarily to check rod licences. If you recall in those days there wasn't a national rod licence as there is today.
I too stopped fishing the river because I didn't agree with the slaughter.
Even the late Albert Frizwell and Jack Noyse to mention just two of the club officials could not deter the river owners.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks like the trout farm has been flooded again at the draethen. Used to be some big roach on the bend, I also remember Sean Wilson did a 100lb of chub above the bridge
My best mukka wilson, just been away on the weekend fishing with him.

Are you a caerphilly boy loadsa?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sorry @loadsa but I think your memory is a bit tainted. Yes I was there as well when we netted the moat. NRA took the "LIVE" pike and relocated them. It was THE CLUB. who killed the others. Which as the owners was thier choice. No law to stop any owner killing thier own fish. No legal way of stopping them.
As for the "Top honcho" I personally don't recall the incident you discribe but it wouldn't have surprised me. We had a few white collar bosses ( or should I say numpties.) who didn't have a clue.
not to contradict but I was the secretary for over 10 years and that was what I was told. The moat was netted more than once during my time, was the students with them when you were there. As for the killing of the pike it was under the recommendation of the authority to kill any pike under 8lb. We lost 2yrs plus of silver small silver fish and the pike were stunting. as for his name I thought he was the boss in charge of the bailiffs. If you say his name would probably remember it (the old brain cells are not as good as they used to be)
I must of met up with you in the past as I was the coarse fishing representative on the South Wales fisheries board at your headquarters. It s was me and the game anglers, spent hours talking about the salmon in the wye and the usk

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
yes
My best mukka wilson, just been away on the weekend fishing with him.

Are you a caerphilly boy loadsa?
yes been here 40 years migrated from between Cardiff and Essex married a canton girl
So you will know Knotty nick more ernie lee and the rest of them

1 - 20 of 34 Posts