World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this forum so bear with me. I am seriously considering getting a boat to do some fishing but the wife also wants to spend a few day away on it too. With this in mind I came to the conclusion that a small 2 berth cabin cruiser would be a good choice to start with. I have never had a boat before so I am asking advice on price I should pay, what I should avoid and any scams to watch out for. Please also bear in mind that after paying for the relevant RYC training my budget is modest, so please no advice on newish boats. hope you can help.

Dave.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Oh dear! how does one give sensible advice to somebody with no boating experience, who wants to take his wife on trips with him?
All I can say is read the posts on boat fishing, ask lots more questions, & buy an up to date version of the New Testament, & also take an RYA course on boat handling! Then before you go "solo" ask again !
blueskip

·
Registered
311 Posts
go on your rya courses but before you venture out and buy a boat take someone that knows about them even if you have to give him a couple of quid and if you can go with someone on their boat for a little experiance dont forget all the safety gear as well.if you make a mistake one your own and end up in the sea thats your own fault but if someone els is with you your liable

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are realy serious about a boat,come down to Harwich and I will take you out in mine,show you the pitfalls,walk you around the Marina where there are hundreds of boats and point out the good and bad points of each.
But remember above all else, a cabin cruiser type vessel is a compromise for a fishing boat. the more cabin you have the more she will be affected by the wind and roll about. In the last two years I have towed in three small vessels with broken outboards and pulled a couple out of the shallows because they could not read a chart for low water levels.
If you go down to the local lifeboat station they will give you a free CD on boat safety and even check your boat for you. And above all else never buy the first bit of floating plastic you see without checking every bit of it, a house is a big investment but to buy but a boat could be your life if you get it wrong.
Good luck
Sparky (ex lifeboatman)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts