World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to my fave newquay mark yesterday morning and didnt plan for the swell to be so big!

The tide was on the rise and into the first couple of hours of it.

Tried a few lures until i tried the angel kiss again and low and behold just as i was about to pull out her out the water BANG it dissapeared! Ended up playing a nice bass. Weighed in at 3lb lovely fish. She was promptly returned. Miffed i forgot my camera, sorry guys.

Lost one as well i tried to hard to fight through the swell i put that down to inexperience.

Also took a small pollock bless it dont know how he was going to swallow the lure!

All in all a good morning well chuffed.

One question. As i said the sea was quite rough and i could tell my plugs were not performing properly. All mine at the mo are floating, would it be a good idea to try a sinking to get out the waves? If so could someone point me in the direction of a good one? Im not spending over £20!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,449 Posts
Went down to my fave newquay mark yesterday morning and didnt plan for the swell to be so big!

The tide was on the rise and into the first couple of hours of it.

Tried a few lures until i tried the angel kiss again and low and behold just as i was about to pull out her out the water BANG it dissapeared! Ended up playing a nice bass. Weighed in at 3lb lovely fish. She was promptly returned. Miffed i forgot my camera, sorry guys.

Lost one as well i tried to hard to fight through the swell i put that down to inexperience.

Also took a small pollock bless it dont know how he was going to swallow the lure!

All in all a good morning well chuffed.

One question. As i said the sea was quite rough and i could tell my plugs were not performing properly. All mine at the mo are floating, would it be a good idea to try a sinking to get out the waves? If so could someone point me in the direction of a good one? Im not spending over £20!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee
hi Lee , a Zonk is great for this mate , slow sinking , great action , I love the mullet one , so many colours to choose from .
Cast well to , cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mark. I think i could have done a lot better if i had a plug that could have coped better with the conditions.

Lets go shoppping!

Lee

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Lee

Great to see you are getting to grips with the plugging and enjoying it.
The Zonk 120 is the dogs for fishing down to 8’

Cheers

N

·
Registered
589 Posts
Why buy an expensive lure???

Try 1 oz lead + 8-10 feet leader + either an Eddystone Eel (Blue & White) or a Storm Wild-Eyed Naturalistic sand eel.... Much cheaper and they work...

Or there is an XLayer Sandeel which is supposed to be very good ... check out what Henry Gilbey says about them.

If the water is rough, it might help to speed up the retrieve.

http://www.henry-gilbey.com/photo_essays/rigging_the_megabass_xlayer.html

·
Registered
466 Posts

Try 1 oz lead + 8-10 feet leader + either an Eddystone Eel (Blue & White) or a Storm Wild-Eyed Naturalistic sand eel.... Much cheaper and they work...
I have never tried this method. But surely you do not get much feeling using a lure with a lead?? I would go fo a duo tide minnow surf in such conitions.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Or there is an XLayer Sandeel which is supposed to be very good ... check out what Henry Gilbey says about them.

If the water is rough, it might help to speed up the retrieve.

http://www.henry-gilbey.com/photo_essays/rigging_the_megabass_xlayer.html

Thanks for the advice mate however i do find adding weight to a lure that isnt supposed to have it does ruin the action some what.

On the price of lures, i think if one lasts me a season it has more than payed for itself especially if it catches!

Cheers lee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts