World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with Avets...
Ok currently ive got a couple of sx5.3's on the boat but this season im looking for a couple of slightly bigger ones? About the size of a 7000 would be great, im not needing magged brakes or twin speed but just something a little bigger....what should i be looking at?

Will be used for tope huss etc.

All tips appreciated.

Davie

·
Registered
760 Posts
We use jx's for all our wrecking good reels but do require regularly pinion bearing changes the raptor models are the best if you don't mind spending a bit more solves all the side load issues

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We use jx's for all our wrecking good reels but do require regularly pinion bearing changes the raptor models are the best if you don't mind spending a bit more solves all the side load issues
How regular? How often you using them?

Regards

·
Registered
760 Posts
How regular? How often you using them?

Regards
We fish commercially so pretty much every day the weathers doable(100+ days a year). They get a lot more abuse with us than any rsa would put on them and will handle anything that swims in uk waters with ease. Most other commercials in our port use the same reels so there must be something to them. The bearings supplied are not of the best quality with Avets so putting in a boca or something similar would make them last a lot longer but seeing as the ones we use only cost a couple of quid it's just as easy to swap them out when servicing the reel (they are the easiest reels I've ever serviced) all the Avets we use are still performing as good today as when they where brought (around 5 years ago)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
We fish commercially so pretty much every day the weathers doable(100+ days a year). They get a lot more abuse with us than any rsa would put on them and will handle anything that swims in uk waters with ease. Most other commercials in our port use the same reels so there must be something to them. The bearings supplied are not of the best quality with Avets so putting in a boca or something similar would make them last a lot longer but seeing as the ones we use only cost a couple of quid it's just as easy to swap them out when servicing the reel (they are the easiest reels I've ever serviced) all the Avets we use are still performing as good today as when they where brought (around 5 years ago)
Do you use Rokmax for spare bearings?

I'm with Martin (Hoges) on this . MXJ would fit the bill for the OP.

·
Registered
760 Posts
We have in the past as that's where most of the reels come from but I have just fitted one of mine with a ceramic pinion bearing which seems to be holding up a bit better so may look into doing the others when they go most of the time it's a case of people screwing the drag up to tight or holding the reel at an angle that makes them go.

·
Registered
760 Posts

I'm with Martin (Hoges) on this . MXJ would fit the bill for the OP.
Mx would be fine for most uses but would recommend jetting the bigger reel if you do any wrecking/jigging not because of strength but line retrieval is faster and you often need to crank like hell even when fishing the jx to get the bites.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
another for the Mxj or even better accurate bx400 they've made my avets redundant just about absolutely brilliant reels

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, Ive ordered two MXJ'S and some new Suveran's cant have new reels on old rods and all that.

Thanks again.

Davie

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, Ive ordered two MXJ'S and some new Suveran's cant have new reels on old rods and all that.

Thanks again.

Davie
Let us know what you think of the new Suverans. I trashed my 30 EVO(my fault) and have not been able to find a replacement as Pure Fishing decided to stop production and nobody wants to part with them s/h. Bought a Daiwa TDX as a replacement-nice rod but no cigar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts