World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was so good i must be dreamin

The day started wiv me n4lly and chicken eye brows picking up some rag and squid from brazils dover.

It wasnt long before n4lly was soaking his 1st worms and a few moments later a double hit of weavers pop up.

Next its my turn and my 1st fish of the day was a mackie on rag and it was lip hooked

Next was chickens eyebrows turn and he had a mackie on feathers.

The day continued to get better with a few more mackies but not many to much cloud cover.

Then the wrasse started to feed we had loads. N4lly had the biggest getting on close to 3lb i reckon

Literarly all the fish came down the wall a couple of feet off it.

Then the wrasse started to thin out and the pout started. Some double hits some huge and getting on for close to the 3lb mark as well.

Then chicken eyebrows decided to cast out a whole squid as n4lly had no luck wiv squid and a while later a very spottie doggie comes out.

I then set up pulley squid rod which sat untouched while i caught countless wrasse and pout on rag and squid tipped tinsel feathers.

Whilst n4lly continued to haul in a massive amount of huge wrasse of all different shades and patterns

About an hour before hw i got a reasonable wrasse n4lly took a photo, chicken eyebrows then tried to take a photo. But all he got was a photo of me in the process of trying to lob a wrasse back wiv a shocked expression as my squid rod bent double with some huge knocks. And bang fish on! After a struggle and some handlining up the wall comes my 1st ever non schoolie bass. It didnt feel as heavy in hand but once home hit the scales at 3lb

Bare in mind the only thing weighed was the bass the others are guesses but dont think theyre far off

Plenty more fish came out and we even had some worms left for my sole sessions in the week.

A huge weight of fish was caught by the 3 of us in wot was only about a 6 hour session.

Chicken eyebrows took home a couple mackies
N4lly didnt take any coz i caught the bass he wanted
And i took a bass, 3 mackies and 4 pout for the table.

N4lly thanks for an awesome day mate!

This was typed in a rush at a barn dance so hopefully theres not to many mistakes. Although my phone has a mind of its own so u may hav to decode it

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
nice one bud about time you caught something for your tea lol

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well done matey good days fishing! What are pouting like to eat? never seen anyone keep one before, i know you can make fishcakes from them but thats all iv heard of!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Congratulations on a very good session.

Well done matey good days fishing! What are pouting like to eat? never seen anyone keep one before, i know you can make fishcakes from them but thats all iv heard of!
They are very good eatingif you look after them properly when caught. Kill them straight away and bleed them. If possIble gut them straight away as well. They also need to be kept cool. Follow those rules and you will find that pouting fillets dipped in flour and pan fried are excellent.

Even if you do as suggested above they will only stay fresh intil the next day. If you want to freeze them, wrap each one individually in cling film and freeze them as soon as you get home.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I,ve never eaten them but caught so many of them i thought its rude not keep a few. i've never caught fish like this from the shore so will let the mrs cook them so i dont waste them as it will probably be a while till i can go again.

I kept them in a cool bag and gutted and beheaded them soon as i was home then wrapped themin cling film and froze them.

I hope the pout taste good but im not too hopeful after the stench let off wen u gut them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They do reek a bit when you gut them but you ain't eating the guts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Pouting are lovely to eat, floured & shallow Fried or battered & deep fried. I always keep them if I catch sizeable ones ( which hasn't been that often up here of late in Essex ).
I'd also echo the comments about consuming them fresh as possible and doing your gutting and de-gilling/bleeding as soon as you can after catching too, I'm now trying to get into the habit of doing that with all of my keepers now. It works on two fronts, firstly the fish stays fresher and secondly my wife is happier because the kitchen doesn't smell like a fishmongers and she doesn't find random fish scales and bits of blood or guts around the sink that I missed when i was cleaning up.:clap:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Was indeed a fun day. Was a hoot watching you cope with both rods going off at the same time :fishing: Non stop action :thumbs:

I love them Wrasse's, real bully boy's.

Keep an eye on the other rod Jon !!!!!!

Bass on....

Rex Hunt.....

Pout master.....

Will have to do it again :clap:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was an awesome day! Great pics n4lly you've got an eye for the camera as well as the fishing.

That rod bend pic is awesome!

Shirley am lovin the rods sencitive enough to show a weaver bite but powerful enough to bully a bass before it goes into wall or rocks.

But a call is needed to black dog as my drag was struggling on my abu's from the off so will prob replace that and the bearings.

I want to again and again and again lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
Bit late and my pictures are a bit rubbish but here's the few I took off my phone.

My first ever shore-caught mackerel

John held the pout record with at least 10 in the session

OMFG I've got something decent on!!!

Massive thankyou to N4lly for letting us tag along and sorting out a new shockleader and rig for me when one of the b*stard pout dragged me into a snag at the bottom of the wall. I'd had two blanks and one pin whiting on my last three trips so this more than made up for it :fishing:

Final tally for me

2 mackies
3 dogs
6 pout
2 wrasse
no bass (boo hoo :thumbdown)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
hey Jamie, did'nt realise you were Mr. Eyebrows. Nice to meet ya. :thumbs:

Jon, sent you the original, bend in the rod, photo in an email.
You can set as wallpaper. :fishing:

Will have to sort out that Parking Nazi for the next bash on the wall.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts