World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is this the Rolls Royce of Kayaks.

Check out the one shown by Dominick Greco

http://www.oceankayak.com/fishing/outfitting.html

Seriously I am thinking of buying a yak, I've been looking at the Malibu Ocean and would appreciate any advice, is it really worth looking at a small trolling engine?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
While something like that might look nice I'm afraid it's no good for fishing in the sea around the UK.

The first problem is the yak itself, the Big Game. While a very large and sturdy fishing platform, it's a pig to move through the water compared to other yaks. I little bit of tide and you'll soon find yourself moving backwards, especially if the wind is with tide.

Second, the outriggers are going to catch every wave and add to the drag. They do add stability, but you'll need a motor to overcome all the drag. By the time you add up the cost of yak, outriggers, motor etc you'll be in small boat price range.

Standing up in a yak should be reserved for yanks and terrorists. It's a one way ticket to the RNLI if you're lucky on the sea so don't do it.

That yak is set up for particular fishing in the US. While it's nice to look it ignore it for over here. Take a look at www.anglersafloat.com for loads of advice and some guides on how to rig yaks for the UK. Something like a Trident or Scupper Pro is far more popular over here.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed, II fully understand it would not be practical for our coastline,
I am looking at the malibu extreme collection.

Thanks for the website I will check it out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hello mate dont need to bother with outriggers, and a trolling motor is just an exspensive option,but the ocean kayak range is one of the best look at the prowlers,tridents they offer everything you need just go over to anglersafloat and youl be able to findout everything you need to know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts