World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an IMAX 2/4 a few months ago for £80 new - peppy little rod, casts 3 or 4oz miles, especially with braid. Good buy.

Got me thinking about the bigger brother the 5/6 - is this similar but beefier? i.e. powerful fast action? Can pick these up for £100 new, were double that when they first came out.

Looking for a beefier rod than my Salt Mx and AFAW Clubman for when I want another few yards. I'm just short of 175 yards on the field with them so an average caster.

Thanks for any comments.

:unsure:

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
PM sent m8 :thumbs:
Out of interest, where can u still get them from? I have looked, and cant find the older model Imaxs anywhere :uhuh: I'm after a Bi-ceps 3-4 :g:
try glasgow angling centre mate, i think they are still knocking them out at 99 quid

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
I had a look there earlier, couldn't see any :(
hmmmmm, sure i saw them in the recent catalogue with sea dangler mag but just checked the site and they aint on there....weird...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
If you're meaning a 5 stroke 6, I read a few reports that they were bad for snapping the tip. Something to do with the tip being too tightly woven or something.
There was a 4 stroke 6 as well. I think these are fine if you can find one.
I have a pair of 6 stroke 7s that I was lucky enough to pick up unused la the start of this year. I can't rate them highly enough. I even sold a Kompressor sport to help fund the second one! I use these for rough ground work on our east coast Cod season. So they get plenty abuse. Excelllent casting, andf they sit great in big tides and big easterly winds with good bite detection.
Hope this helps.

PS. My brother has a pair of Bi-ceps 5-6oz and we rate these rods as well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't realise there were so many varients, it's a:
Imax 3 Ceps 13' 5/6oz Beachcaster on eBay.

And the one I rate is a:
Imax 2 Stroke 4 13ft Beachcaster Rod

Are these completely different types of rod then?
Is the 3 seps (what's that, 3 piece) any good?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The 2 stroke 4, 4 stroke 6, 5 stroke 6 and the 6 stroke 7 are older rods. I have a few magazines from around 2006 and they were getting sold then in the shops. I take it that the bi-ceps (2 piece), tri-ceps (3 piece)and four-ceps (4 piece) were the next range after that, but not sure if they still make them now. I think they're on the Equasion range now, but haven't seen any writeups on them so far. I've never tried a Tri-Ceps, so can't comment on it, although someone else may be able to help you on that one.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There was a guy selling loads of Imax stroke rods on Ebay about 4-6months ago, think it was Northwest angling center Wigan getting rid of stock.
I've got the 6/7's and like a previous poster said... great rods. I took a punt on the 5/6's and got a pair for 135 quid. I'll tell you what they're like.....Great! I sold on a pair of F1's straight away.
I'd say your best bet to get one would be to keep a good eye on Ebay ....Best of luck!

·
Registered
448 Posts
hi m8 the 2/4 is a very strong rod my m8 was uesing 6oz lead and a 3 hook loop rig and it must of waighed about 8/9oz and he was uesing the reel up and casting further then people uesing 2 hooks reel down !!

and i have the 4/6 very nice rod and that cast a heavey lead and bait a long way but i would all ways ues the reel up coz the rods are to soft to ues the reel down !!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Remember, you get a Bi-ceps (2-ceps) 5-6 ounce rated rod, and a rod called a 5 Stroke 6. They are different rods with the later being from around 2006, and the former being the range that superceded the "Stroke" rods.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that's what i'm worried about - I think the 2 stroke 4 is a bit of a beast for a 2-4oz, would be interested to see what Peter Thain would chuck with it.

But I don't know what the tri-ceps or bi-ceps cast like so I'll steer clear I think. If they're a bit toned down no use as have a couple of softer rods.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
ive a bi-ceps 3/4 and i wouldnt say its soft,had no issues bullying in a 7lb 14oz spur thru weed at the weekend,casts great too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts