World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired an Imax 6 stroke 7. Only problem is the inserts out of 2 of the eyes are missing. The eye's themselves are in good nick so my question is where can I get more inserts for them? The local tackle shop is more off a tourist trap then a quality tackle seller so there is no chance of getting them from there.
Please help
Cheers
Neal
The Skink

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
I have recently aquired an Imax 6 stroke 7. Only problem is the inserts out of 2 of the eyes are missing. The eye's themselves are in good nick so my question is where can I get more inserts for them? The local tackle shop is more off a tourist trap then a quality tackle seller so there is no chance of getting them from there.
Please help
Cheers
Neal
The Skink
you bought one of those with the luck al had with his not a jedi rod neal:roll1: :roll1: :roll1: did you try stan massey he may be able to help or des in elgin maybe but i think he will put new rings on:blink: :blink:

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Eye centres are not normally replaceable. You can play about with epoxy or superglues, but the best bet is to replace the rings with a reliable pattern. Most modern rods are fitted with Alconites (aluminium oxide), SiC (silicon carbide) or ZrC (zirconium carbide). The often-recommended Fujis (early aluminium oxide, pattern BNHG), are a thirty-year old pattern, long discontinued in the rest of the world, and are heavy by comparison with the aforementioned, and are liable to degrade performance if used. I suspect Stan will confirm what I am saying here.

philtherod

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am pretty sure (although not certain) that the eyes on this rod are the Fuji BMNAG pattern, the same as used on the new Greys rods.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Eye centres are not normally replaceable. You can play about with epoxy or superglues, but the best bet is to replace the rings with a reliable pattern. Most modern rods are fitted with Alconites (aluminium oxide), SiC (silicon carbide) or ZrC (zirconium carbide). The often-recommended Fujis (early aluminium oxide, pattern BNHG), are a thirty-year old pattern, long discontinued in the rest of the world, and are heavy by comparison with the aforementioned, and are liable to degrade performance if used. I suspect Stan will confirm what I am saying here.

philtherod

Neal contacted me Phil and I told him virtually word for word what you have posted.

I sent him up two alconite BMNAG`s , up to him whether he replaces the centres:g: :blink: :blink: or the whole guide.

The beloved green BNHG`s are are nothing like as hard wearing as people think. I`ve replaced more of them for loose or cracked centres in the past 3-4 yars than I have alconites. The only alconite replacements have been as a result of physical damage, i.e. blown over on to rocks etc .

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
you bought one of those with the luck al had with his not a jedi rod neal:roll1: :roll1: :roll1: did you try stan massey he may be able to help or des in elgin maybe but i think he will put new rings on:blink: :blink:
its a good rod neal , iv never broken one myself , everyone else does it for me (know what i mean paul).
the only problem i find with this rod is that the top section is around 2 inches taller than the bottom and when the rod is in its bag the top section , being a bit longer , is prone to getting snapped easy. i have combatted this by storing the rod in a hard rod tube .

ill put a seperate post on regarding this as i have just had another idea to combat this .

al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts