World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking for opinions on the above rod. I am wondering how it compares to the Leeda Icon Ultra Power or RT Axe.

I would be using the rod over rough ground with a SL30SH in the low reel position, using large baits and 5/6oz leads to target large Huss and Congers- is the Imax suitable for this purpose? Any opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brodie.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking for opinions on the above rod. I am wondering how it compares to the Leeda Icon Ultra Power or RT Axe.

I would be using the rod over rough ground with a SL30SH in the low reel position, using large baits and 5/6oz leads to target large Huss and Congers- is the Imax suitable for this purpose? Any opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brodie.

guy that designed rod also did the Icons before moving to imax.
Not had a twiddle with the extreme ive one below pretty impressed with it and friend has the icon version which looked ok mind till it dropped and twink broke eyes!

RT Axe has quite a thick butt not sure if they have a new one out now though?

but all three are ok go and have a look at them is best if can Jims.org down your way had them while back

·
Registered
283 Posts

Cheers,
Brodie.
The imax fr extreme is certainly suitable for rough ground fishing, no problem what so ever, the icon ultra is very good , but not as well balanced or refined as the iMax, never liked the Ron Thompson, it was dreadfully heavy and unbalanced , lifeless piece of old tat, the fr extreme is by far the best of the three you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I jst got the FR plus, not used it yet, seems like a real rhubarb stick, AD wouldn't change it for me so is up for sale, I would suggest the Icons are loads better. My butt is perfect but the tip is like a 3 oz job. Maybe its a mix up. Wont buy again. The Icon Ultra is a superb rod for the money.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
I jst got the FR plus, not used it yet, seems like a real rhubarb stick, AD wouldn't change it for me so is up for sale, I would suggest the Icons are loads better. My butt is perfect but the tip is like a 3 oz job. Maybe its a mix up. Wont buy again. The Icon Ultra is a superb rod for the money.
The plus imo is far from a rhubarb stick!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Everyone has different tastes, my Plus's replaced a pair of Primo Syncro's which I considered to be the worst rod I ever laid hands on, a re-badged fladen powerstick IMO, horse's for courses, no offence intended.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Also how can u judge something u haven't even tried yet? Lol

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I had the plus, it wasn't what I was after in a rod so moved it on, couldn't fault it for the money but it wasn't quite right for my needs, tip was too stuff for lighter clean ground work and butt too soft for rough ground. I would have thought the extreme would be ideal for your needs. If I was on a budget I'd buy a pair quite happily, but I'd be changing the reel seats as has been said a million times on here lol

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
I had the plus, it wasn't what I was after in a rod so moved it on, couldn't fault it for the money but it wasn't quite right for my needs, tip was too stuff for lighter clean ground work and butt too soft for rough ground. I would have thought the extreme would be ideal for your needs. If I was on a budget I'd buy a pair quite happily, but I'd be changing the reel seats as has been said a million times on here lol
I just got the tip version but can't use it till Xmas :( lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Everyone has different tastes, my Plus's replaced a pair of Primo Syncro's which I considered to be the worst rod I ever laid hands on, a re-badged fladen powerstick IMO, horse's for courses, no offence intended.
So did you like the plus's ? or were they the worst rod ever? I have a plus and its OK, but the tip is to stiff for my liking, not too soft overall. BUT I did buy VMax's CME mk1 and that apart from being heavier has a much better tip, Both seem about equal in overall power.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My pluses i thought the tip didn't show bites but if you look at rod more you can see them it's just that it don't bounce/wobbly about in the rest but the plus is a mid rod not a match nore a heavy ground rod more just a rod for every day type so can use multi venue
if i want real tip take out the Federation!
But for light work most have conti types now fills the niche perfectly

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Hi Nicw, yes i do like the Imax Fr 'Plus' rods, suits the areas and species that i fish like it was made specifically, I also use a number of other rod/reel combinations for different areas, but the Imax rods are my current favourite.

·
Registered
418 Posts
What size Abu sliding reel Seat fits The Imax FR plus , i can't find any info on The Butt diameter . Also would There be anyway of getting a reducer for it .

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Think it's 26mm, memory isn't as good as it was ! but needs packing, i would look on mine but they don't state the size on the reel seats

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I shall have to consider my options, but the imax sounds good- thanks for all your help!

·
Banned
1,410 Posts
I shall have to consider my options, but the imax sounds good- thanks for all your help!
I have pair of Match plus, which I bought after trying the Extreme, As for soft Butt I would hate to have a stiff Butt if the plus and extreme are soft. I personally think the butts are identical on all 3 versions just different tips. I use Fixed and Braid and bite detection is good

1 - 19 of 19 Posts