World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This for me is an extremely important question!!

I have recently bought a canadian style open canoe to fish from in and around Argyll (Scotland)

Although not a sot I have the same requirements as you (need to remain warm and dry) I am also mindful that one day I'm bound to take a dip!! The sea up here in winter is freezing.

What do you recommend as suitable gear?? :help:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The sea temp here in the South is 6C in the winter, but much higher temps will kill in a short time.
A drysuit is essential. So are warm clothes under it.
Have a look on wetsuitoutlet, you should be able to get a Gull or Crewsaver for around £200, money well spent.
I wear mine in cool Summer conditions too.
Modern ones are comfortable and look good.
I wonder why you chose an open canoe rather than a SOT? A canadian can sink, a SOT is safer, and the purpose built angler versions are pretty good now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm not one to ignore good advice. Especially when it comes to my safety and since you were the only person offering advice it's yours that I have taken!!

I am keeping the canadian canoe for paddles with wife and dog and have just purchased an "Ocean Kayak - Big Game" for the fishing!

Dry Suit is on order - I went a bit more expensive than you suggested just to make sure that I stay alive.

I have also arranged for one to one coaching in Kayak Safety

Thanks for taking the trouble to help me.

Maybe we will meet up on the water one day??

Cheers

Doolittle

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Good heavens! The power of the written word!!
Best of luck with the Prowler, you will love it, and be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts