World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left all the rods on the boat so today was just supposed to be a wander round and look for potential marks and watch other people fish kinda day. And thats how it started!

Took an early wander up Poole Quay seeing loads and loads of Mullet swimming lazily along and before long the quay was filling up with tourists and a couple of locals all with rods in hand.

Decided to go have a look-see up at Holes Bay to a spot where I have often see large groups of decent mullet with the occasional Bass swimming with them and sure enough they were there. Have always MEANT to fish here but have never gotten around to it, have never seen anyone else fish the spot either.
Anyway, just out of curiosity, and co I'm that kinda guy ;) I threw a couple of Blackberries into the water to see if the Mullet might be tempted, of course they weren't!
What one of them WAS interested in tho was a large Grasshopper that had hopped out of my way and straight into the water!

Snaffled!

After about 10 minutes of what must have been a hilarious scene to watch, I had captured and thrown into the water another 1/2 dozen grasshoppers. All of them were taken off the surface by the Mullet!

By this time lunch is on the agenda so a quick trot down the bay to Asda. On the way down was disgusted at the amount of rubbish washed up, or left on the shore all along holes bay. Then I saw a young Gull that was tangled up in someones discarded crabline!
When I got closer I saw that the crabline was in fact 2 crablines and the gull was disentangled quite easily and flew off happy....ish
1 of the crablines was a comlete wreck so was taken to a bin to save further distress, the other however was good and went in my pocket without another thought.

Lunch done and back down to the quay to see some pretty decent fish taken, including a bass of about 3lbs and a Mullet that went 5 lb 4oz on the guys scales :)

Seeing this Soooo gave me the bug tho! I had an Idea! Walked back up to a guy I had been chatting to earlier in the day and managed to cadge a single size 10 hook and 3 feet of about 8lb mono off him.

The plan was hatched!

Straight back up to holes bay and fixed mono and hook to crabline, scrabbled around a bit more and caught me some more grasshoppers. Threw some in and the Mullet were still taking them so on the hook with 1. The 1st 4 or 5 fell off before the hook hit the water but found that hooking a large one through the top of a leg was about the best way to keep on the hook.

Chucked the line out with baited breath and bucketloads of anticipation only to have fish come have a look and then swim away time after time!

More grasshoppers were caught and thrown around the hookbait, the fish glady took these! I couldnt win!

Just as I was about to give up and go fetch my boy from the childminders out of the murk came a great big mouth and suddenly Fish ON! The fish went ballistic and I though fo sure I would lose it, but after a while and a walk to somewhere I could get down to the water I managed to Land what I guestimate to be a Thick Lipped Mullet of around 4 and a half pounds! Beating my PB by about a Pound and a half :)

Suffice to say, I'm fetching a rod back from the boat and am down there again tomorrow with Rod, net and camera!

·
Registered
483 Posts
:wave: well done ,

their are a few spots down the back their where they gather and feed

i wont fish the back waters now tho since they started dredging ,

in 88 i watched bdh go up and all the barrels going up and into the mud where you fished , they never cleaned the mess up properly , some mutant flounders around their too .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an idea for improvement on the fishing with grass hoppers, most pet shops sell crickets/grass hoppers for feeding snakes, etc and how about using bait elastic to tie them onto the hooks? iv only float fished holes bay once with nothing caught but lots of weed might see if i can get over sometime and have a crack too. there are so so many fish there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.