World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm looking for one at the minute.
The Halfords ones are a good shape for in the car (wider than they are high). 2 of my mates have electric coolboxes and they have kept bait frozen for over 2 days with just a couple of ice packs added.

One of my mates also has a Halfords car starter jobbie (just a big battery with jump leads). This also has a car cigarette lighter socket on it, so when we're parked up he just plugs it in and this can provide the coolbox with power for 2 day alone. Very good if you've got the spare room in the back of the car.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi folks, anybody use a mini fridge (in car) to keep bait fresh. Any advice would be
welcome, might also use it to keep beer cold.
Thanking you Dave.
Hi those mini fridges that you see on ebay or in shops that plug into the cigarette lighter socket are crap from my experience. They just don't keep stuff cool enough.
You can buy a propercool box feezer that runs just like your home freezer on mains, 12volt or gas that freezes stuff properly. They are expensive but worth it. I got an Electrolux one off Ebay for £60.00 second hand. No ice packs are needed they freeze and keep stuff frozen will run for as long as you have a power source. Even when switched of they will keep stuff frozen for 48 hrs plus.
We used ours in France last year 40 degrees celsius! We were meting but ice cool drinks on tap. Bliss.

G

·
I was given, by my sister in law a "Budweiser" 12 volt cool box, it's the dog's proverbials, we've used it on numerous camping and fishing trips, and nothing has ever got over warm,

To give you an idea of it's size, it'll hold 64 cans of Bud', that's one hell of a lot of manky lager type beer!

The cool box is great though

hth

Ubd

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I have a little mini fridge that I got at the booty for £5, I took a load of frozen bait upto the Bristol channel in it and that stayed frozen for two days. It is 240v or 12v and has hot or cold options.

·
Registered
69 Posts
After a little bit of experimenting I have found that if you get a bog standard cool box and put a previously frozen 1 Ltr bottle of water it will last 6-10 hours, so if I require more 'cool time ' I have found that a 3 ltr cider bottle will keep the box chilled for much over 24 hours (however it can be dependent on how much you add to the box,ie bait or caught fish). I did at one point think of buying a 12volt fridge, however it is much easier & convienient to just use frozen bottles of water.
Hope that helps

Peter

·
Banned
820 Posts
After a little bit of experimenting I have found that if you get a bog standard cool box and put a previously frozen 1 Ltr bottle of water it will last 6-10 hours, so if I require more 'cool time ' I have found that a 3 ltr cider bottle will keep the box chilled for much over 24 hours (however it can be dependent on how much you add to the box,ie bait or caught fish). I did at one point think of buying a 12volt fridge, however it is much easier & convienient to just use frozen bottles of water.
Hope that helps

Peter
Ok far a shortish day or two trip. Problem though is if you are on trip camping out in the sticks for a week. You run out of ice? What do you do? That was why I suggested the portable freezer that runs on 12v mains or gas in an earlier post.

·
Captain Chaos!
3,694 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for that thread, you have reminded me that I have a fridge box in the shed...and had forgotten all about it. Its a very good one, a Hella, and at the time cost around £100...does the job very well.

David, It will be going to LA to keep the bait fresh !!!! :):)

Thanks again...:)

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ok far a shortish day or two trip. Problem though is if you are on trip camping out in the sticks for a week. You run out of ice? What do you do? That was why I suggested the portable freezer that runs on 12v mains or gas in an earlier post.
http://www.towsure.com/product/9679
Portable freezer! £189 just to keep bait frozen!! You would have to have more money than sense to buy a freezer just for bait at that price and that is for a 240v, have alook at the price of 12v: http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobilecoolbox/compressorcoolbox/

Anyway if you do want a cheap 12v/240v fridge have a look at the rest of the stuff on there site: http://www.towsure.com/category/6959

·
Banned
820 Posts
http://www.towsure.com/product/9679
Portable freezer! £189 just to keep bait frozen!! You would have to have more money than sense to buy a freezer just for bait at that price and that is for a 240v, have alook at the price of 12v: http://www.mobilegas.co.uk/mobilecoolbox/compressorcoolbox/

Anyway if you do want a cheap 12v/240v fridge have a look at the rest of the stuff on there site: http://www.towsure.com/category/6959
Worth it mate. I go away fishing for the weekend or on holiday I got mine of ebay £60. I keep food in it frozen. Bacon chops etc. Luxury to get a cooked meal on the portable stove!
Freeze ice packs in it then put it in the coolbox I keep for bait!

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi Guys, Thanks for that thread, you have reminded me that I have a fridge box in the shed...and had forgotten all about it. Its a very good one, a Hella, and at the time cost around £100...does the job very well.

David, It will be going to LA to keep the bait fresh !!!! :):)

Thanks again...:)
Hi Norrie I don't think I will be at LA. Ullapool is calling. My two lads want to come on a family trip up with me at easter. I don't see my lads often so that one wins I'm afraid. I'll pm you.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I bought a coolbox you run off a car cigarette lighter for £12.99 in Woolworths at the end of the summer before last.It's brilliant for keeping everything cool on long trips,I wouldn't be without it.

·
Banned
820 Posts
I bought a coolbox you run off a car cigarette lighter for £12.99 in Woolworths at the end of the summer before last.It's brilliant for keeping everything cool on long trips,I wouldn't be without it.
That's great. I have had three all crap. The first I thought was faulty. The second the fan was broken so was definately faulty. The replacement ran but was useless.
I must be unlucky. I got a proper portable freezer after that. Which works great as it will freeze stuff not just keep it cool.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Working on the basis that any money not spent on beer, fishing, food is a waste. Here is the cheapskates answer to this problem.

Go to your local aquarium shop and ask when their next delivery of fish is due. It does help if you are not wearing a survival suit and carrying the 50lb class "Broom handle" rod. It worries them. Arrange to collect the transportation cartons when they empty them. These are polystyrene containers with great sealing lids. You get a great bait/catch transportation container. They don't have to pay for it's disposal. They usually let you have as many as you like.

Cost to you. Nowt, Nil, Naada. I call that a bargain!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Try looking in caravan accesories shops. A friend has one that you plug into the mains overnight, then into the lighter in the car to keep it cool. I'll be getting one for the bus. Cheers, Tony O-P.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts