World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now ready to start installing this Airmar transducer. Could somebody advise me if the location would be ok? I have limited space in the hull as there is a b1oody big in hull fuel tank in the way. There is a likely looking space of approx 6" that has a perfectly flat area. This would place the transducer just 4" from the transom so should be better than my previous "on transom" type which cavitated.

I have read on here of a few ingenious ways to fit an in hull type, and have gone for an easy fix - I will bond a strong watertight storage container to the hull (I have already cut out the bottom from it), the transducer is suspended to the (stiffened) lid and this can be adjusted up or down as required. I will be filling the container with oil, but I am not sure how close to the hull I should adjust the transducer to. At the moment there is about 10mm which looks good to me. I don't want any bubbles and I don't want the transducer to touch the hull either. Can anbody advise if 10mm is too close or too far please?

This picture shows how basic it all is. Obviously I will be sealing all flanges with sikaflex, but the good thing with this method is that the top is simply "snapped" off if I ever want to re-locate for any reason.

While I am at it, i want to replace the damaged hatch fitting. Does anybody know where I can get one of these?

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi, 10mm is fine. Any fluid that wont freeze is fine. Olive oil, vegetable oil, anti freeze...all are options.
As paul says, id be inclined to silicon the box in place and have a trial run.
Heres a trick weve used before for a transducer housing:
Im sure you can get a 6inch sewage pipe fitting with a screw on lid. This then allows you to fabricate a housing like your lunch box, but its quite a bit sturdier. Jewsons or Plumbase should be able to supply.
Regards Tony

C

·
0 Posts
My main concern Harry is that if your boat design is exactly the same as mine, you have about 2" of wood and void between where you are fixing the plastic container and the outside of the hull. The signal will not get through it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My main concern Harry is that if your boat design is exactly the same as mine, you have about 2" of wood and void between where you are fixing the plastic container and the outside of the hull. The signal will not get through it.
I'm pleased I asked the question then Terry. There is a really solid thud when you tap the hull at this place although just inches forward of that it sounds a much thinner hull. I'm not sure if I can make it fit or not now. Where do you have your transducer fitted? There is another area forward of the fuel tank that would take it, but it is outside of the recommended fitting area for a boat of this type (due to planing). I did consider through hull installation and if I did that at the same location it would surely do the job. I am not sure if anybody drills holes in fibreglass boats to fit a transducer as an in hull shoots the signal adequately if there is room to fit one. What do you think?

Tony, yes I read your pipe post and like the idea. I might go for that if I still do the inhull installation (after Terry's bombshell)!

C

·
0 Posts
I'm pleased I asked the question then Terry. There is a really solid thud when you tap the hull at this place although just inches forward of that it sounds a much thinner hull. I'm not sure if I can make it fit or not now. Where do you have your transducer fitted? There is another area forward of the fuel tank that would take it, but it is outside of the recommended fitting area for a boat of this type (due to planing). I did consider through hull installation and if I did that at the same location it would surely do the job. I am not sure if anybody drills holes in fibreglass boats to fit a transducer as an in hull shoots the signal adequately if there is room to fit one. What do you think?

Tony, yes I read your pipe post and like the idea. I might go for that if I still do the inhull installation (after Terry's bombshell)!
I am assuming that our boats are identical in construction Harry as yours is basically just a smaller 640. I could be wrong though and it may be worth a call to IBS to find out their opinion.
To fit my transducer I had to cut right through the hull, about a foot forward of the transom. A very nerve wracking experience indeed, but it is well sealed in with lots of Sikaflex and has not given me any problems.
However if there is somewhere that you could position it without having to cut holes, it would be far preferable.

PS. Just an idea, but would it be possible to drill a small pilot hole in the position you want to put it, to find out what is there and how thick it is?
It would be easy to fill the hole with some gel coat filler afterwards.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
before you "stick" anything, put the ducer in a plastic bag add a little water and plonk it about in different places in the hull, to get the best return. You can find the optimum return by just hanging the ducer over the side of the boat, when afloat that is. We have a Koden on ours, and the transducer is stuck to the inside of the hull with epxoy resin. Re the screw hatch there are loads on Ebay

this is ours in shallow water over a shoal of schoolies

we are measuring feet

·
Registered
4,053 Posts

I belive peninsula has a thru hull transducer in his raider,your transducer is a thru hull one anyway.get the drill out Harry!.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Are you sure Terry??
Mine isn't as you describe, not that I could find anyway, the area where the fuel tank is mounted is double skinned, but then it drops down to single skinned behind this, Harrys location is more or less where I fixed my transducer, mine is slightly further to the starboard side, to keep away from any outboard turbulence on the angled area of hull, if it is double skinned, it shoots through perfectly, never loses a signal at any speed, my transducer is a P56 Transom mount, mounted in a similar box to Harrys.

I used Anti Freeze in mine Harry, been in for about 18 months now, never had any problems and as Paul has said, in the event of a leak or removal, Anti Freeze is much easier to clean up than oil with no risk of going rancid.

AL ..

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure Terry??
Mine isn't as you describe, not that I could find anyway, the area where the fuel tank is mounted is double skinned, but then it drops down to single skinned behind this, Harrys location is more or less where I fixed my transducer, mine is slightly further to the starboard side, to keep away from any outboard turbulence on the angled area of hull, if it is double skinned, it shoots through perfectly, never loses a signal at any speed, my transducer is a P56 Transom mount, mounted in a similar box to Harrys.

AL ..
I have just been out to check mine again and although it "sounds" very solid (very heavily made up in the planing area), I also don't think there is a void at the location I planned as in the picture above. Having said that, I do agree that the signal will have some work to get to and fro through the extra thick lay up at this point. I am prepared to drill through the hull but I want to be certain that this is the best option. If Al's 640 is pinging fine at the same area it might be worth at least trying it in hull first.

If I do end up drilling through, I want to know exactly what is involved. I have no problem drilling the actual hole. The transducer has two rubber seals and only one lock nut. I would imagine then that one rubber seal goes each side of the hull. Would I smear Sikaflex between every side of contact? (i.e. transducer flange, inner and outer hull, both sides of the rubber washer, and finally the locking nut?). Also, would I need to use a spreader block between the inner hull and the lock nut to reinforce it all or simply just tighten the nut as it comes through the hull? I don't like the thought of a rubber seal in there I have to admit!

Harry

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Harry

On my first boat the keel ended about 5 inches from the back of the boat and that is where fitted the through hull transducer

we drilled the hole and also made a baton from a piece of oak and placed that inside the hull and glassed in place making a good heavy part to take the transducer then it was drilled as to make a good solid mount for it

the outside was coated in sikaflex and the threads were as well then it threaded through and the nut was placed on and it was more sikaflex and then tightened

when it was tightened the sealer oozed out thus giving us the knowledge it was water tight

a lot of hassel but it worked at 25+ knots and never a blured image

wish i could do the same on this boat i have now

ETEC

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a predicament now as the in hull location clearly has a few doubts. I want this thing to work perfectly as it is intended to do by the manufacturers and they have supplied a through hull transducer. My current preference tells me to get the drill out (as Johnraider and Shaun Etec suggests). I think I am going to go for the through hull installation and do it right. As john says, it is a through hull transducer so it is designed for it anyway. I will give it another day to consider before taking the plunge!

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I have a predicament now as the in hull location clearly has a few doubts. I want this thing to work perfectly as it is intended to do by the manufacturers and they have supplied a through hull transducer. My current preference tells me to get the drill out (as Johnraider and Shaun Etec suggests). I think I am going to go for the through hull installation and do it right. As john says, it is a through hull transducer so it is designed for it anyway. I will give it another day to consider before taking the plunge!

Regards

Harry
1000s of boats have them,and probaly just a handfull have had problems,as long as its sealed,it will be fine.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Regards

Harry
Mine is a Transom Mount Transducer Harry, so not in the place it was designed for, being mounted In Hull, it's in a QS 640 2008 model, mounted (more or less) where you were going to mount yours, it displays fine up to close on 30kts and shows Mackie feathers being jigged on the bottom at 130-ft, seems to work fine :)

Anyway, i'm sure you'll get it fitted and working fine wherever you choose to fit it, good luck mate.

AL ..

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Ho Hum.

An in hull, a through hull or a transom mount, of the equivalent model, will have the exact same internal gubbins, just sealed up in different mounting packages.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with mounting it through hull and it is indeed a simple enough job, there will be no benefit in terms of functionality or performance, compared to a correctly installed in hull installation.

Just stick it in a bag, as Aquabel suggested, dump it in there where you originally planned and see if it works. If it does, stick the bu55ger down in the box you've already made.

Some simple little jobs don't have turn onto a saga on WSF :sun:
Oh yes they do, unless they are catch reports!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have found another possible installation site. It is just forward of the fuel tank which is sat on it's support floor (possibly what Terry referred to as a void?). There is a bit of a deadrise here but I can simply overcome that with Tony's idea. This location is about 4ft from the stern so just about within the planing skid. A piece of stench pipe with a cap on and cut the angle to fit and fill with neat anti freeze sounds good. I still prefer my original location though and I feel sure it is THE best location. I am going to sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings.

Harry

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok Ok Ok, Thank you all for the excellent input. This thread can now be closed please.

I was initially on track to set it in as per first picture until it was muted that there could be a void. I just wanted to know for sure that it was ok.

I now know which method to initially try and thanks once again to all who helped .

Regards

Harry

C

·
0 Posts
Your last picture Harry shows that there is a difference between our boats. Mine has a flat floor in the underdeck locker, obviously hiding the V shape of the hull. Where you are showing the transducer now, should be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.