World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i am putting my boat into the water next week, and i was hoping that some people will know of any wrecks that are not to far out from shore, as me boat is only a 16 footer and me very green, but got all nav gps f/f and s/s radio plus life jackets, or is there a book or some thing like that one can buy, if you know and want to fish it with us let me know,

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi Paul
Get yourself an admiralty chart from a chandlers that is local to where you fish. This will have wrecks marked on it, but will have to be plotted to your GPS.
An alternative would be to search the net for dive sites. These very often give co-ordinates for the wrecks.
Note: Diving always takes priority at wrecks.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for that, have got some charts, but tried to put them onto a gps is hell, as i worked out the co-ord but when transfered to gps well mary rose was in hyde park, done some thing wrong i guess, still i am new at all this got to learn some were

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Paul, check he datum on your chart, it will be something like OSGB36 or OSGB 72 (Ordinance Survey Great Britain 1936 or 1972). When you take a position from the chart you have to have the GPS set to the same datum to be able to input it without correcting the position. THe default datum for GPS is WGS 84 (World Geodetic Survey 1984)

Your GPS will contain all the datums in the setup menu, change it to match your chart and then input the lat and long off the chart. Once finished go back to the setup menu and change it back to WGS 84, it will automatically apply the correction for you.

Check whilst in the setup menu if the screen displays lat and long in degrees, mins, and seconds or degrees mins and decimal min. You can change it to which ever you are most comfortable with when reading from the chart.

If you use different datums you can be 300-500 yards out when you try to find the wreck which is a big search with your sounder.

I have never found the wreck positions taken from a chart are absolutely spot on so there is a bit of searching involved to find the wreck any way. When I go out looking for a wreck for the first time I zoom the GPS and sounder in and start doing spirals around the position I have for it. As soon as I see something on the sounder I press the MOB button on the GPS and then do a spiral round that point to see if I can spot the wreck. If it is nothing I resume the search from the MOB point.

If I strike lucky and find the wreck I take a while to map it out with a sketch in a notebook, I try to note the orientation, if it is broken up, it's high spots and if there is any scour on the downtide side. Ths all pays dividends when I eventually get to fish it. It is handy to note tide and catches in the book as well so you can go back at the same tide if you have a good day on it.

When you eventually get to fish it the information you have built up helps you decide how to fish it, on the drift, to anchor off the wreck and let wind and / or tide push you back over it or the trird option, to drop an anchor directly into the wreck. I have a home made anchor welded up from soft rebar which I use tripped on the cheap blue polypropeline rope. I have managed to pull it out of wrecks so far with the engine but it is not a disaster if you loose it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi paul

got some wrecks for you, most just off shore from dover to poole, send me your phone number and will give you them, by pm of course,
also would love to help you with your boat, i have a twenty five footer myself,

only reply to me by pm

cheers bud
shad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts