World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the hoses on my engine before the relaunch due to the fact that a few of them are starting to get a bit hard now and as most of you know will be come a bit brittle I was told that braided car engine hoses are not good enough for a marine engine even tho they are braided, is this true , I cant see the point of paying extra cos the parts have marine written in the title , thanks

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I'm curious to know why marine should be any different myself. Do the hoses dissolve in water or something?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
Some of the hoses on my diesel engine have "Lloyds approved " on them, could it be linked to an insurance thing as well?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only difference is salt water as opposed to freshwater , I cant see that there should be any difference myself, I'm out at the boat later in the yard so I will have a little probe and see if I can pick up more imformation

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
After googling about it seems that marine fuel hose is more UV, abrasion and more importantantly fire resistant than automotive. So from an insurance point of view at least, you will need it. I'm surprised though, I'd have thought that automotive fuel line was equally strict, but apparantly not.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I looked it up too. ISO7840-2004 Relates to fuel hoses used on craft up to 24M where the fuel tank is not contained within the splash well and connected directly to an outboard. These standards are applied to low pressure hoses (49.3 PSI). High pressure systems will need a different grade of pipe.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Who keeps a fuel tank within the splash well?? - It would get rather splashed there!
True, guess it means in the splash well area, like my river boat, the tank sits under out of the way. But it doesn't seem that much dearer so not really an issue

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that covers fuel hoses but what about the water hoses, spoke to him today and he said that salt water with its particles is more abrasive which wears the pipes , I can see to a degree but with filters in the system I am not convinced but not willing to argue either lol I am uncertain myself

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Well if your raw water lines go, you will fill up pretty quickly. That's one I am a bit cagey about. And exhaust manifolds. Seen boats in trouble with those often enough to go belt and braces. And seacocks. You're given me the heebie jeebies now.......:eek:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I buy silicone hoses for all water circuits fresh and raw. Good resistance to heat, abrasion, oil, petrol and antifreeze and available on Ebay from lots of suppliers. Parallel or unequal diameters plus pre-formed elbows in all diameters and angles. Also black, red and blue choice of colours. What is not to like?

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
theres a guy on flea bay has a place by Rawreth near hullbridge/wickford/south woodham ferriers way that does all the Silicone hoses and more.
Braid for marine would need stainless as most car ones are a sort of stainless copy!

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
If a water hose goes on a car you coast gently to a halt and phone the RAC. If it goes on a boat you sink unless you are dang quick and clever, and even then you can't get out and walk. Some things I would not compromise on but I agree if you can get the exact same spec from a non marine labelled source it is probably cheaper.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We always have a selection of the correct size wooden plugs on board.You soon get fedup with being head down in the bilges with your finger in a pipe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.