World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lads went out today went across the bay no troubles stopped the boat
for out first drift knocked the engine off and all i could see was smoke bellowing out of the air intakes opened the engine box and the smoke poured out i first thought we are on fire but the smoke cleared after 10 mins..started it back up and with in seconds it was bellowing out again
i could see it was coming out of the breather off the rocker cover
the engine was pressurising(spelling)..had to limp back in oil presure was fine temp was fine turbo psi fine just bellowing out WHITE smoke
no diesel smell just hot oil smell ...pulled in to the basin/marine and the twa-ting gear selector cable snapped i couldnt stop the boat that was a bit entertaining lol....we let the boat cool down on the berth and started it back up and straight away think white smoke...
its a 300hp ford mermaid spoke to syril today he is very confident his words that i have picked up a piston and idea lads

any advise welcome thanks Paul

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well done for getting back. Think he could be right, although I'm no expert. I do sympathise with you though. Hope you get it sorted soon; it's the bad days that make the good days even better...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
white smoke? just white, or a bit blue?? white suggests lots of unburnt fuel, or innefficient combustion. if it was a bit blue, then its maybe a bit more serious

stuck injector, blockage in the air intake, air getting in somewhere along the fuel line possibly

I'd be thoroughly checking out the whole fuel system before I start diving in and look at major internal components

if you had stopped the engine, and there was still masses of smoke pouring out, a stuck injector could be pouring fuel in, which wouldn't burn but would be vapourising due residual heat in the engine, and producing lots of white smoke.

if it is more serious, with it coming from the rocker box breather, maybe a stick valve, or a hot spot has built up on a valve seat and taken a wee chip off a valve

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
White smoke and I think water; blown head gasket?

Thats what I was thinking,water getting into the cylinders.

If it`s unburnt fuel should should be able to smell it in the smoke.

Alan

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers lads for your replys spoke again with mermaid ref water in the oil
he said that if there was water inthere of any amount even half a cup full i would be able to see the slight colour change...so i pumped out a good bit of oil and its is as normal...put oil back in run her up for short
while had instant white smoke again fron the breath as soon as i started
it up....compresion test next stop....thanks again Paul

·
Registered
472 Posts
cheers lads for your replys spoke again with mermaid ref water in the oil
he said that if there was water inthere of any amount even half a cup full i would be able to see the slight colour change...so i pumped out a good bit of oil and its is as normal...put oil back in run her up for short
while had instant white smoke again fron the breath as soon as i started
it up....compresion test next stop....thanks again Paul
sounds to me like a stuck valve had a gardner that use to do the same thing if you not lost power or over heating normaly head gasket will cause the engine to over heat and loose power

1 - 7 of 7 Posts