World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just come off the plane from visiting my dad in Tralee in ireland. It would have been silly of me not to try inch beach. We bought black lug from a local tackel shop Doug about 40 blow lug and took the rest of the earth worms from a session on the river earlier that day. Got to inch about 9 in night at low water no wind but nice surf.first half hour was just clumps of weed and it got me worried but that soon cleared up and then the fish switched on I was mixing the baits together which worked also trying earthworm on its own this also worked. Ended up with 17 flounder 4 bass but had to leave just as bass were really hitting baits hard.i literally had to tear myself from there. What a wonderful place I will be back

Attachments

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Good afternoon Boltgem,

Enjoyed your report, brought back memories of visits to Inch and other wonderful venues along that coast. Used to visit southern Ireland twice a year through the 1970's, the week after Christmas and Whitsun week. We stayed in a Family run B & B in Castlegregory which was comfortable, the food excellent, the daughter of the lady who owned the house, had been a chef to the then primeminister". I am pleased to read that Inch is still producing good bass, in the 70's it wasn't unusual for our group of four anglers to regularly land double figure fish all returned. The only exception at the time was to occasionally despatch one double figure fish and present it to the locals to be shared out amongst the neighbours.. At the time, the locals were unaware of the fish available on their own coast, so the bass were left alone to grow and grow. There were no tackle shops in those days and you had to make your own arrangements for bait. We relied on a local baitdigger who lived in a two room "bungalow" with his 90 year old mother , to keep us well supplied . No money changed hands, as long as we kept him regularly supplied with bottles of whisky he supplied plentiful lugworm. I absolutely loved it there and was tempted to upsticks and move to the west coast of Ireland, but with two young children to bring up, this was out of the question. Anyway, Boltgem thanks for stirring the memories!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good afternoon Boltgem,

Enjoyed your report, brought back memories of visits to Inch and other wonderful venues along that coast. Used to visit southern Ireland twice a year through the 1970's, the week after Christmas and Whitsun week. We stayed in a Family run B & B in Castlegregory which was comfortable, the food excellent, the daughter of the lady who owned the house, had been a chef to the then primeminister". I am pleased to read that Inch is still producing good bass, in the 70's it wasn't unusual for our group of four anglers to regularly land double figure fish all returned. The only exception at the time was to occasionally despatch one double figure fish and present it to the locals to be shared out amongst the neighbours.. At the time, the locals were unaware of the fish available on their own coast, so the bass were left alone to grow and grow. There were no tackle shops in those days and you had to make your own arrangements for bait. We relied on a local baitdigger who lived in a two room "bungalow" with his 90 year old mother , to keep us well supplied . No money changed hands, as long as we kept him regularly supplied with bottles of whisky he supplied plentiful lugworm. I absolutely loved it there and was tempted to upsticks and move to the west coast of Ireland, but with two young children to bring up, this was out of the question. Anyway, Boltgem thanks for stirring the memories!

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)
Thank you for you comment ticker I enjoyed reading it, my dad has lived there now for 8 years and was the local jam supplier as his line of work. He is still a very busy man fishing and hunting nearly every day so basically living off the land from everything that the ring of Kerry has to offer. Every time I go there I get a great feeling of being at home there even though I'm a very proud Welsh man. I'd accept the place as my home any day. I did fish near castle Gregory on derrymore strand 2 years ago but to luck. But I am pleaedp to tell you it has not changed that much and the bartering system is still very much alive especially when it come to whisky ha ha tight lines boltgem

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Nice report...:thumbsup:

Reactions: Boltgem

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
great session mate ive also had some success with dendrobeana worms red banded ones i use them with maddies to bulk the bunches up the wriggle like mad in sea water and work great for flounder had my biggest flounder on maddie red worm cocktail

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great session mate ive also had some success with dendrobeana worms red banded ones i use them with maddies to bulk the bunches up the wriggle like mad in sea water and work great for flounder had my biggest flounder on maddie red worm cocktail
My brother fished with me and it blew his mind how they worked so well, my reply to this was why wouldn't they as a worm is a worm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts