World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been using a fixed spool with braid for the last 2 years over very snaggy venues. I have already worn 2 out ( A Penn Surfmaster 70 and a Mustad Centurion) and my current Centurion is on its last legs.

I have tried braid on my Penn 525Mag and have found it to be a nightmare, with random crack offs a common occurance (the line just parts 2-3 seconds after casting whilst the lead is in the air)

Can anyone recommend an indestructable Fixed Spool reel? I have a budget up to around £150.

Cheers

·
Registered
424 Posts
You want the Penn Spinfisher 850, if you can find one in this country (you'll probably need all of your budget too!). Their technoloy is slightly old-fashioned but they're reckoned to be bomb-proof. The Daiwa Opus Plus is a good rugged, workhorse type reel and costs only around £30 so you can afford to carry a spare.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
477 Posts
You want the Penn Spinfisher 850, if you can find one in this country (you'll probably need all of your budget too!). Their technoloy is slightly old-fashioned but they're reckoned to be bomb-proof. The Daiwa Opus Plus is a good rugged, workhorse type reel and costs only around £30 so you can afford to carry a spare.

Cheers,

John
Spinfisher 850SSM in stock in Scotland - try any friendly Mail Order Shop to get hold of one - RRP £130

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Spinfisher 850SSM in stock in Scotland - try any friendly Mail Order Shop to get hold of one - RRP £130

Cant speak for the 850SSM but I`ve got its` big brother the 950SSM for white marlin . Built like a Challenger tank and smooth as a Swiss watch :clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this Spinfisher suitable for braid?

I take it for the price the line lay is pretty damn fantastic!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Treeboa,

I'm a multi man myself most of the time, but for those extra snaggy marks you can't beat heavy calibre superbraid and the higher speed retrieve of a fixed spool

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a look at the Shimano Big Pitt Lc i've been using a pair of these for beach fishing (also use on the river severn for carp / pike / Zander )

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/ST28185 (you will probably find cheaper)

I've been using these for the last 3 years without any problems - i also find using braid on my Penn Mag an expensive pass time due to the number of over runs - probably due to my poor casting style. I have some of the smaller shimano bait runner reels that i use for Bass that must be over 15 yrs old - never serviced and cleaned every 15 yrs or so......

·
Registered
424 Posts
All of this begs the question, is braid worth the trouble? Wouldn't a tough mono be better for fishing over rough ground?

The Penn Surfmasters are pretty tough reels and if you've worn out two within less than two years I'd also say that fixed spools aren't suitable for the job. IMHO you'd be better off sticking with the 525 and loading it with a suitable mono or even considering a Slosh30.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You lose range then bluejt.

I fish Holyhead breakwater a lot, lots of heavy found up to 100-150yds before calming down. (It's nicknamed the 'tackle graveyard of N Wales' to some of my mates)

I also have a Bass beach, that has a clean gulley about 130yds offshore at low, the fish hide in the gulley.

If I use thicker mono I don't have the legs to reach the feature, as for HHB some of the boulders on the retrieve still get you on a fast retrieve with a multi.

I have a Slosh and a 535Mag already, If only I could get them working with braid :(

·
Registered
424 Posts
In that case it the Penn Spinfisher might be what you need. They're beautifully engineered but I don't know whether the line lay would be up to braid standards. You'd be better off asking about this on one of the USA surfcasting forums as the're more common there.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've switched from shimano's to grauvells recently and have bought a pair of zeus 5000's. I expect them to last a long time and am fairly sure they will outlast the reels you have been using. They come with 3 different sized spools one of which is ideal for braid. It's also easy to increase the drag with a finger on the front of the spool - useful in snags. If you've had problem with bent spindles it pays to think about how much is sticking out when applying lots of pressure with the rod. Same applies to all long cast reels. The 5000's are better than most.
The spinfishers are short spool reels so there is less load on the spindle. Shimano also do the US bait runners which have short metal spools and are made for heavy fishing. I started off with a shimano carbomatic and then an aerlex and have noticed that with the exception of the US reels they aren't what they used to be what ever is payed. There is another Penn reel that is popular for fishing in Ozz. It might pay to take a look in their forums but I'm not sure that these reels are still available. Especially in the UK.

John

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Hi,

I've been using a fixed spool with braid for the last 2 years over very snaggy venues. I have already worn 2 out ( A Penn Surfmaster 70 and a Mustad Centurion) and my current Centurion is on its last legs.

I have tried braid on my Penn 525Mag and have found it to be a nightmare, with random crack offs a common occurance (the line just parts 2-3 seconds after casting whilst the lead is in the air)

Can anyone recommend an indestructable Fixed Spool reel? I have a budget up to around £150.

Cheers
youve tried penn ,now try daiwa /abu or mitchell
mitchell reels are bomb proof simple affairs that work and cost nowt compared to penns or shimano
get youself a slosh and a mitchell for that budget

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just noticed your comments on getting braid to work on your multi's. Best bet is believe it or not a 0.35mms dia braid. That way the reel behaviour will be simular to the usual 15lb mono. Smooth casting may let you get down to 0.3.
This comment is down to PTR. I've not tried it yet.

Big question then is will you get more distance. I don't think so but you should get a much stronger line - but may not if 30 and 50 lb power pro is anything to go on. Those gave me 22 and 24lb.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts