World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an inflatable (dinghy!)for use on holidays.

I've spent ages on the site going through old threads & learned loads about these boats.
A couple of things I haven't managed to clarify -

They say that a 'vee' hull or an inflated floor boat is more controllable than a flat (slatted) one.
So, how uncontrollable are flat floored inflatable boats?

I'll be using it with my 4hp 2 stroke mercury outboard in harbour conditions where there is a 4 - 6 knot speed limit,so even if the motor had the power I wouldn't be hammering around!:laugh: But it is fairly busy....it wouldn't be nice to have no control!:ahhh:

I've read that the Hypalon boats are obviously better & heavier than the cheaper PVC ones that are priced at £275 - £300 new.
As I'm going to have to fit it in the back of my car with the rest of the holiday luggage (& mother-in-law). Would a PVC one would take up less space?
I don't wan't a big cumbersome lump in the back of the car (the mother-in-law fits that bill!) but, I would like a controllable little boat that I can use to have a bash at the fish with.
My budget for just the boat is going to be a max of £350....I've got all the safety gear & insurance will be extra.
So, 2nd hand or new cheap?

Thanks for any answers.

Splodge.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
£350? The full service alone on my liferaft costs more than that.........

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an inflatable (dinghy!)for use on holidays.

I've spent ages on the site going through old threads & learned loads about these boats.
A couple of things I haven't managed to clarify -

They say that a 'vee' hull or an inflated floor boat is more controllable than a flat (slatted) one.
So, how uncontrollable are flat floored inflatable boats?

I'll be using it with my 4hp 2 stroke mercury outboard in harbour conditions where there is a 4 - 6 knot speed limit,so even if the motor had the power I wouldn't be hammering around!:laugh: But it is fairly busy....it wouldn't be nice to have no control!:ahhh:

I've read that the Hypalon boats are obviously better & heavier than the cheaper PVC ones that are priced at £275 - £300 new.
As I'm going to have to fit it in the back of my car with the rest of the holiday luggage (& mother-in-law). Would a PVC one would take up less space?
I don't wan't a big cumbersome lump in the back of the car (the mother-in-law fits that bill!) but, I would like a controllable little boat that I can use to have a bash at the fish with.
My budget for just the boat is going to be a max of £350....I've got all the safety gear & insurance will be extra.
So, 2nd hand or new cheap?

Thanks for any answers.

Splodge.
Yes Hypalon is tougher, but PVC is fine on the better quality boats like Quicksilver - but some of the cheaper makes can be a bit thinner - I would avoid an unknown Chinese brand - and steer clear of a Yam - I had one which fell to bits within 9 months. To get one of the better brands at your budget definitely means going used and it will be an older and tattier one too at this price.

Anything less than 3m will get on the plane with 4 hp, so I would definitely go for an inflatable keel - you will be planing at 6 knots in this kind of boat and at displacement speeds they can be challenging in tight spaces especially in a wind, but you soon get used to the characteristics.

Usually I would say go for a solid floor but if you only have 4 hp and are using it in calm water, then an air deck will be fine.

One other thing - they don't pack up as tight as you might imagine - to carry a 2.5-3m boat and an outboard in a Focus/Astra type hatchback, the rear seats will need to be folded - you can of course carry an inflated one upside down on a roofrack - if you have to do this, measure the car first before deciding what size to buy - when you put an inflatable next to a car, it can be surprising how big the boat seems.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The cheap ones about 2.5m with the slatted floors are fine. Not great to row but not bad, fine with a small outboard. Not a huge lot of space in one and check the size folded up. If you are thinking of spending a fair bit more look at a Portabote.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your constructive posts :clap: I'm going to look at a used Avon Redcrest & a used Honwave & if I get the chance I'll go & have a look at the new WavEco ones at the Chandlery.

I've got an 11' grp dinghy but I don't like towing so, I'm going to try an inflatable on holiday with the view of....if I like it... selling my Dinghy, putting a bit with it & going for a decent one to use at Poole when I get back.

Thanks for your help,
Splodge.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hi

2nd hand, if fishing ali floor if not fishing air floor i.e something like a Honwave t27 . as a basic rule the fatter the tubes the more stable it is hence why I suggest 2nd hand and go for better quality/ spec. I have been out in a fair few different makes and there is a huge difference between them. also 2.7-3.2 m will give you a lot more room than a 2.4. I know it does not sound a lot but if you go and see them in your local dealers you will see it does make a big difference.

G

·
Hi there, I used to have an Avon Rover 3-10 that I used for fishing. It had a wooden floor and an inflatable keel. I first used it with a 6 hp Evinrude but later with a 10 hp Mercury (which I borrowed off my brother).
I used to get everything in the back of my old corsa, then I got a corsa van which was brilliant. After a while though I built a trailer for it to save me packing it all up when I finished, getting it all out and inflating it to wash down when I got home before packing it up again when it was dry.
I will say that I had great fun fishing from it. Although it was rated for 5 persons, two was the maximum amount for fishing from it. I never stuck a hook in it although I did drop a thornback ray on it and cause a slight puncture. As it took about 4 days to go down it was about a year before I actually mended it.
I will say that a set of transom wheels are a must. They make life so much easier, especially where I live as the tide goes out a fair way. It means you are not restricted to launching from a slipway. I could go out at any state of the tide, just sometimes it was a longer walk.
Another thing that I had was an underseat storage bag. This just zipped over the seat and provided much needed storage. It also had a built in cushion, quite a relief after 7 hours fishing.

Here are some pictures showing what my setup was.
Hope this helps.
Malcolm.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! I think an ali or ply floor will be needed from what you say.

That's fair old load Malcolm!
Iv'e got a Honda CRV.........but with the other luggage.....looks like I'll have to put the inflatable on the roof........or my Mother-in-Law!:spiteful:

Thanks.
Splodge.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the advice on inflatables. I've bought a new Wetline 265 AD V hull airdeck floor.

I'm going to give it a few runs around the harbour on the next calm day....better get used to the handling before I go on holiday!

Cheers,
Splodge.

·
Registered
559 Posts
We used to launch over Studland. Parked the car in the main car park and carry everything onto the sand and pumped it up/ set it up there. We used a Halfords portable battery operated pump which took all the work out of pumping it up. My mate attempted to pump his inflatable in the car park where there was lots of stones and he got 3 punctures. So choose your spot carefully. We also had a small box of smoke flares as well as the standard cheap buoyancy life jackets.. Have Fun. Billy.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Billy, Iv'e got all the safety gear, flares, life jackets & hand held VHF.

We may pump it up at home & put it on the roof rack...I'm sure we can carry it between me & my nipper! I think it weighs about 100lbs.
Shell Bay is a good place to fish...but the bass & mackerel are often out of my casting range....I may get a few more now! I'll be giving it a go.

Cheers,

Splodge.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
On your car & tow a little trailer, then either your rolled up dinghy + more gear (or your mother in law) can go in it, leaving the back of the car empty! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On your car & tow a little trailer, then either your rolled up dinghy + more gear (or your mother in law) can go in it, leaving the back of the car empty! :thumbs:
We always have to take the Mother in law when we go to the Fowey area, as here family is still down that way........next year for a change I'm booking somewhere in Kent, Norfolk, Wales, or any where except Cornwall & the dinghy can go in the back!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Cheers,
Splodge.

·
Registered
559 Posts
We used to launch ours at Redcliffe Farm. It will cost you a fiver If it's more just tell Charlie that it's a small inflatable.. Pump your boat up on the grass, launch on the slipway and toodle down the river and start fishing from the Army training camp.. If you use the 2hr before and 2 hour after high water rule you are bound to catch. Pop into Wareham fishing shop before you start and have a quick chat with Dino, He should put you right..
IMAG0835.jpg
IMAG1638.jpg IMAG0801.jpg
Hope this helps
Billy.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Another person worth contacting is Brian R owns a warrior called Megabite I think.... He runs a small boat fishing club in Poole. They meet once a week. He's a really top bloke. Give him a shout...

BrianR's Avatar Join Date
Oct 2007

Interests
Boat and Beach fishing, Boats, Shooting, Family
Favourite Rod
Depends how I feel on the day
Favourite Reel
As Favourite rod
Best Catch
My wife
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Favourite Boat
my Warrior 165 "MegaByte"
Post Thanks / Like
Send a message via ICQ to BrianR

Regards,
Brian
Poole, Dorset
MegaByte
Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club (Treasurer/Membership Secretary)
Wear your Life Jacket, things can go wrong very quickly.
Hope this helps. Billy.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Hi Splodge

Sorry I haven't been along before, just read a pm from Trev (Billylongpockets).
An easy place to launch your inflatable would be Lake Road at Hamworthy (Just past The Yachtsman Pub). It's a free slip and you can usually free on road parking. It's got a height restriction and it's not concrete but you won't need to worry about that. In my younger days we used to launch an ex-Navy Gemini inflatable there with no trouble.
Alternatively there's Baiter slip but that gets very busy at weekends in the summer and it's not free, was £8 which included car parking but it's probably £10 by now.

As you intend fishing in the Poole area, you could do a lot worse than join our club, we've got 217 members with 118 boats, so there's lots of knowledge available and usually other club members out there should you need assistance. We're a friendly lot and have social events as well as a few competitions.

If you're trying the boat out in the next few weeks, there are still some flounders about in the harbour.

Where abouts in Dorset are you? We meet the first Thursday of the month at Parkstone Trades and Labour Club, upstairs room (with bar).

If you want any information send me an email and I'll send an info pack.

[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts